Pergol.a standalone - planning permission / permitted development

Soldato
So I was looking to see if a pergola unit standalone (aluminium version) not fixed to the wall or ground can be erected at the side area of my house. I'm in a conservation area so I know there may be some limitations especially to the side of my house where I would like for it to go.

Planning team seem to think it may need planning permission but are checking this out for me, they don't seem to know at the moment but have been checking it out for the last 2 weeks :o

https://www.vonhaus.com/vh_en/outdoor-pergola-with-adjustable-canopy

2500327-image-insitu-3s-1.jpg

The unit was on clearance and cost £99 (it was silly not to snatch it) but if for some silly reason it needs planning permission it will probably cost +£250 for that and not even guaranteed to be approved so I'd rather not go down this route.

Can anyone give advice on this, it would be appreciated.

W3m x D2.3m x H2.3m. Legs 6cm x 6cm x 2.3m

Height is 2.3m, I can reduce it to 1.8 - 2m easily, length of 3m will be taken down to 2.3m to make it a square. (i.e. "2.3m L" x "2.3m W" x "1.8-2m H")

Also if I have to go down the route of planning permission, should I submit it at the reduced height for a better chance of having it approved or should I just submit it as is, will I have an option to resubmit later if it gets rejected or am I paying another £250 and another application.

p.s. you may have seen my previous post on the catio, that stayed up finally and the said neighbour still squealed like a ... but couldn't do anything about it :D), so I am sure he will complain to hell if this needs planning permission and he gets to argue on a survey form lol.

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Soldato
I can see why it was £99 It looks terrible and the flaps / are they canvas or plastic ? Looks like a climbing frame for the local youths, chuck a few smashed bottles of buckie under it for that authentic look.

Anyway surely the planning people are the only people that can give you any meaningful answer ? wait for them ?

Soldato
OP
Just thinking is it worth putting it up and submit a retrospective after

will apparently take 8-13 weeks if I submit a planning application
if I do a retro, let them take 8-13 weeks, will use it in that time at least

Associate
I rang up planning department asking if I needed permission for a veranda build and they said yes... which was opposite to what the internet told me after some research. So sometimes they don't know their own rules.

I went and built it without planning and it has been standing for 4 years fine.

For something like that pic I wouldn't think it needs planning at all. It looks like a shed skeleton. You wouldn't need planning for a shed that size so why a pergola? Shed can be up to 2.5m.

Soldato
OP
Conservation area, side of the house permitted rights are restricted

I'm gonna call them tomorrow and moan at them some more, will threaten to put it up haha if they don't confirm (OK maybe not)

Soldato
Just throw it up and leave it. If someone eventually reports it and planning tell you to take it down then do so, will only take 5 mins.

Put it back up a few months later.

Just what I’d do too. Don’t create problems for yourself especially when it involves local government.

Soldato
OP
The retard next door complained when I put the catio up, he will definitely make a complaint about this

he's the litigation type, nothing better to do in his twilight years

Soldato
Could it be that the conservation area has a set of rules like bylaws that are separate from planning but still can't be broken?

Is the side area visible from the front of the property or shielded by a fence?

Surely the council has some details of the conservation area small print?

Soldato
OP
Soldato
OP
it will be 2 mins to put up tbh, mate has the grinder to shorten it down, I reckon if I put it up and then do a retro that will be best option

if I submit the application and wait the 2-3 months, what's the point

I have a feeling it will be fast tracked to decline if I put a retro in :cry: or if approved they will make me wait the 2-3months to let me know

anyone have experience with the councils in regards to retro & normal planning

Soldato
Put it up, go for retro if someone complains, move it into the back garden if retro is refused (after stringing it out with an appeal...)
If you ask planners they will inevitably find a reason to say it needs permission to be safe...

Soldato
OP
I'm thinking it will likely be rejected as twilight from next door will be able to see it above the fence between us and claim it is blinding him lol (@2.3m), also from an angle at the front I think you'll see a small portion of it through the trellis thats above the fence, they might use that as a rejection ...you know doesn't keep character of conservation area or some bs

If I keep it at fence level (1.8x m) then these 2 things won't be an issue?

I'll check sizes and measurements in the morning and add more info

If i submit at original height and it gets rejected let's say, can you alter and then appeal under the same submission at no additional cost? or do you have to fork another £206 again

Wouldn't be surprised if it is the latter tbh :o

Do they tell you how it can be changed / adapted to get approved or it's point blank rejection.

Last edited:
Associate
IMHO assuming it is not going to block something obvious (neighbours window, access etc). I would just stick it up, plead ignorance if you get challenged and take it down. By the look of it, it may not last more than a few months once erected!

Soldato
OP
Got a reply from Council

Further discussions with the enforcement team, and confirmation of the location of the proposed pergola, given that the proposal would be located to the side of the property within the Conservation Area, planning permission would be required and therefore would not fall within the remit of permitted development.

and then links how to apply for PP

Last edited:

bJN

bJN

Soldato
If you're not affixing to the ground then who cares? Put it up and let him whinge. If the council come a'knocking, then just move it behind the house and no issues, surely? I'd probably also get it as close to the boundary as possible just to rub it in his face somewhat.

Back
Top Bottom