Need advice to new cpu

Associate
I got this Intel Core i9-11900K and im using a Noctua NH-U12 air cooler with 2 fans
Under idle i see it goes 40-43 C and i use turbo mode in bios where the cpu auto clocks to 5100 mhz
So the low temps are on idle 800-900 mhz .

Under stress test prime95 then i get 90-92 C

Under normal load it shows 50-55 due to some RGB lighting service from asus runs in the joblist and makes my cpu jump to 4800-5100 using turbo.

So i sort of want to downsize the temps by lowering the cpu volt if that is possible and will help ?
or should i just let it stay auto like this ? Im fine with the cpu going to idle like this. I just want to lower the temps with maybe 5 C

Associate
If airflow is sufficient at the moment, tweaking the voltage may help.
Last Intel I've owned was a i7 3770K, so not really familiar with last Intel CPUs.
First ensure that under Windows' Power Plan, Minimum Processor State or something similar isn't 90 or even 100%. Setting it at 5% should allow the CPU to reduce it's voltage automatically when possible.
Also, if your voltage is set to AUTO in the BIOS, there's a big, big chance that it's getting much more voltage than needed.
I tend to use a fixed voltage or an offset negative if possible, but that will be trial and error until you find what works for you.

Associate
OP
I see..the problem is that i cant find the one place in bios to adjust it from auto to a given value. Since theer are so many type of volt options that i dont understand.
I tryed to google how to change the volt but im not even sure that was right. Where do i exactly find the cpu volt in the hero xiii bios ? and what shoul di try to set it to..when i used prime 95 the volt was like 1.305
on load.

Man of Honour
What kind of stuff do you do with the pc? If you're just gaming then I'd only worry about the gaming temps, prime is a bit artificial. Does the RGB program cause the CPU to stay boosted permanently, or only sometimes?

Soldato
What case and case fan setup do you have? It's pretty normal for stock case fan setups to have poor case airflow.

Associate
OP
What kind of stuff do you do with the pc? If you're just gaming then I'd only worry about the gaming temps, prime is a bit artificial. Does the RGB program cause the CPU to stay boosted permanently, or only sometimes?
Yes for gaming..and yes there is a lighting service that every RGB software uses..both asus and G skill i know for sure use that service. It used like 8 % of cpu and makes my cpu go to 50 c ish.
When i disable that serice then my temps drops down to 40-43. So that service keeps my cpu ramp up to 5100 mhz. I do see the cpu swing from 4500 mhz to 5100 mhz using turbo mode.
So yes that RGB service keep my cpu on a boost ramp that easy make smy temps go at least 5-8 c hotter.

Should not be a problem tho and everything works fine.
I just want to see if i can reduce the heat a littel.

Associate
OP
What case and case fan setup do you have? It's pretty normal for stock case fan setups to have poor case airflow.

I got a Noctua NH-U12 series NH-U12A with 2 fans..should be a beast.
But prime 95 is allso a beast to use
Case is coolermaster 520 argb with 7 case fans riing quad

Soldato
I got a Noctua NH-U12 series NH-U12A with 2 fans..should be a beast.
But prime 95 is allso a beast to use
Case is coolermaster 520 argb with 7 case fans riing quad
NH-U12A is a beast, but not because it runs push/pull fans. Push/pull makes little to no difference .. 3c at the most and that is only at full speed. At same noise level 1x fan gives same airflow and cooling ability as 2x fans. The big difference between other NH-U12 coolers and NH-U12A is it has way more heatpipes (7x 6mm heatpipes), and each extra heatpipe increases cooling potential by 30-40w. Others have 4x or 5x heatpipes 6mm heatpipes, so they are 120-150w TDP to NH-U12A being 210-280w TDP with it's 7x 6mm heatpipes.

Your case should flow enough air. I never use anything Thermalfake. They burned me years ago by not refunding/replacing defective new product out of new box .. plus they have often copied other companies for their product line. That said I think the fans you have should work okay. Might need to re-arrange some to get good case airflow.
Below is link to simple guide to case airflow and how to optimize it, including how to monitor airlfow temp into coolers vs room air temp might be of interest.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-i-put-my-temp-sensor.18564223/#post-26159770

MoBo GA-X58A-UD5 CPU i7 980Cooler PH-TC14PE TY-147 RAM Crucial Ballistix

Soldato
Also I'm not sure why you're using Prime95 to stress test. Stop using Prime95, which puts unrealistic heat into the CPU and use Realbench which also tests the graphics subsystems at the same time and so is a much more realistic stress/heat test.

Associate
OP
Sorry was gone for a bit. Yes im a gamer

Here is my current test results.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l417ky3oa8zme3k/Testing 1.6.png?dl=0

I talked with a guy on asus rog forums.
He told me to lower vccio and vccsa.
And i tested with 1.16 v but now im on 1.12 v stable in cinebench and games.

Now i still want to lower the cpu volt. I dont fully understand everything on hwinfo.
I got the 11900k cpu and i want to lower the volt to reduce heat.

For now its auto but im not sure what to set it for manual?
Is it using 1.439 v for max ?
Should i go to bios and change the volt to 1.450 ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom