Desktop DAC advice

Associate
Desktop DAC advice

I’ve just build my new rig and my motherboard has got the ALC4080 codec, though it still sounds pants vs my old Sound Blaster Z (software/driver hell). My question is should I be looking at an internal sound card or external DAC? any recommendations?

Usage wise, I’m pretty much Gaming 50% and Music listening 50%
I’d say my budget it £200(ish)

My set up is as follows:

Speakers: Q Acoustics Q-BT3 (connected through S/PDIF)
Cans: Seinhinser HD 595s and Momentums

I’ve had a look around the net and there’s a lot of contradictory advice.

Initially I was convinced about external desktop DAC though then the EVGA NU Audio Card caught my eye.

The below seem to pop up as recommendations:

• EVGA NU Audio Card
  • Chord Electronics Mojo (this is the dream but way out of my budget)
  • Topping L30/E30 (not that easy to find)
  • Sound BlasterX G6
  • iFi Zen DAC V2
  • fiio k5 pro

Soldato
Really no sense in anything very expensive for speakers using optical (digital) making circuitry of source irrelevant.
SBX G6 would be available for very good price as B-stock and besides good features for gaming has also very capable headphone amplifier.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your help. If I was to go down the SBX G6 route, I'm guessing I'd have to use the Line/optical out? to my speakers, would this bypass the onboard DAC on the speakers and use the G6s CS43131 DAC chip?

Currently using my onboard ALC4080 codec the Optical (Digital) sounds a lot better than the Line/optical out, though the Optical (Digital) cuts to hissing interference after a few song...that's another issue.

Thanks,
T

Soldato
Every time you use digital connection for audio, be it optical or coaxial S/PDIF, or USB/HDMI, analog circuitry before that (like Digital to Analog Converter) doesn't matter.
Signal is simply kept in digital form all the way to that output.
Again for headphone output DAC is in use.

Soldato
I have both the G6 and the Zen Dac v2 and for your scenario would recommend the G6, the hardware is built for PC gaming and it has some great features to get the most out of games, but you can configure profiles in the software including a music profile to get it to sound decent enough outside of games.

The Zen is much more focused towards HiFi and is much better in that role than the G6 but you probably wouldn't get as much enjoyment out of games as it lacks the features that add additional dynamics to sound effects etc.

Soldato
Every time you use digital connection for audio, be it optical or coaxial S/PDIF, or USB/HDMI, analog circuitry before that (like Digital to Analog Converter) doesn't matter.

Your 99% correct, however in the context of what the OP requires the following will not matter.

Different digital sources can sound different due to drivers. For example my RealTec digital output sounds different than my Asus Essence output when either of them is switched into the same external DAC. The differences are subtle but still they can be heard.

Soldato
Different digital sources can sound different due to drivers. For example my RealTec digital output sounds different than my Asus Essence output when either of them is switched into the same external DAC. The differences are subtle but still they can be heard.
From my understanding the differences will be due to the hardware as different DAC chips and circuitry "colour" the sound to a certain extent so the OP may find the sound delivered by his speakers has a slight difference in tone / delivery if he introduces a different card / DAC into the equation.

Soldato
From my understanding the differences will be due to the hardware as different DAC chips and circuitry "colour" the sound to a certain extent so the OP may find the sound delivered by his speakers has a slight difference in tone / delivery if he introduces a different card / DAC into the equation.

Yes of course different DAC's sound different.

However I was referring to the source, being different drivers on a computer effect source output. These differences are small however.

For example. SPDIF output from a Realtek high lighted mids a little, compared to SPDIF output from an Asus Essence ST where sound was a little flatter. This was with all effects off in both the Asus Essence card and also the Realtek.

Another thing to consider is some sources have better clock timers.

Most people would not realise there was any difference in digital sources, but I spent quite some time A/B'ing the above to work out what I preferred for my HTPC. In the end I landed on the Asus Essence sound card.

Back
Top Bottom