Ford FIESTA 1.6 TDCi Zetec ECOnetic 5dr

Man of Honour
Small diesel engines in cars like this are pointless. You'll never cover enough mileage to make it worth having and if you do then a Fiesta is the wrong car to buy anyway.

Diesel has it's place, but this isn't in small town cars.

Soldato
I swapped a 1.6TDCi into my 1.4TDCi. It was a cracking engine. The only fault at the time was the complicated dual mass flywheel. The Fiesta itself is a great car; very well built/put together.

Soldato
I may be wrong but I think the Ford 1.6 Diesel engine is actually the Peugeot 1.6 HDI unit as fitted to BMW mini and my glorious Berlingo.
They do make sense in a town car as you will average high 40s mpg city driving as opposed to around 30mpg from a 3 pot turbo petrol.

Soldato
But you won't do enough mileage for this to make any material difference and the direction of travel for older diesel cars in cities is not encouraging.

Yes but it won’t break either.
ULEZ is coming, agreed

I hope to get a few more years out of my berlingo.
I’m selling the Honda for more than we paid 3 years ago.

Soldato
They're a a good car. Engine is fine, as above it's the Peugeot engine (DV6 by the PSA group) which is fitted to an absolute multitude of cars and vans, which is a very reliable engine.

I work for a garage which was a Ford dealer until recently, we look after no end of them and they rarely give any issues, the biggest issues are usually caused by the old biddies doing 3k miles a year, never going over 40mph or ever getting the turbo going lol. Otherwise they're very economical and cheap to run.

Price sounds reasonable if it is in good condition, the Zetec isn't amazing in terms of spec, the Titanium is much nicer, but if those things don't bother you it's not a big deal. If it comes freshly serviced and MOT'd with 3-6 months warranty then I'd say it sounds a fair price.

Only thing that comes to mind is the cambelt is due every 10 years so something to consider the cost of in a few years, but that's no big deal either.

Soldato
OP
How about

Ford Fiesta 1.2L Zetec
Petrol, Manual, 81,000 miles
£5300...14 plate

Trying to look for a car around that price.

Also looking at a Citroen C1 15 plate, 37k on clock...£5300

Been looking at loads of cars!!!

My original car (Citroen C1, 15 Plate) was written off)...insurance gave me £5400 for that..

Any guidance be great people..

Soldato
It depends how the cars going to be used.
If you plan to commute into a city centre an older diesel probably isn’t a great idea.
If you don’t the original car you suggested should be fine.
I’ve seen that engine with around 300,000 miles.

Soldato
OP
I also saw a fiesta zetec, diesel, 2010, 77k on clock...garage wanted £3200 for it...one month warranty....i test drove it. Felt good etc...

Good car/price?

Which would you guys go for from the above cars?

Soldato
OP
1. Ford FIESTA 1.6 TDCi Zetec ECOnetic, 80k, 5dr...2014 plate

£5300

2. Ford Fiesta 1.2L Zetec
Petrol, Manual, 81,000 miles

£5300...2014 plate

3. Ford Fiesta zetec diesel, 77k on clock

£3300....2010 plate

4. Citroen C1, 1.2 Petrol, 35k on clock

£5300.....2015 plate....1 year warranty (main dealer)

No clue which to go for..all drove nice

All except the Citroen, approx 1 month warranty. Option to then go with Warranty wise if i wanted to.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom