Sony WH-1000XM3 Noise Cancelling Wireless Headphones

Soldato
Sony WH-1000XM3 Noise Cancelling Wireless Headphones
just need a bit of help as i am considering these headphones:Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones | WH-1000XM3 | Sony UK

just to point out these will be exclusively used to watch television in the house.

I don't have an up to date phone (i don't like phones) so i was wondering if anyone
has used these out the box with good results without the app to change "audio" settings ?

I will be using these wired (no audio lag for me thanks) can anyone confirm the noise reduction works whilst they are wired?

PS: i already have some Lindy noise cancelation phones (noise cancelation is important for my concentration) and they are decent but i've heard good things about the sony's and i dont require the newer version which you can control the world with hand gestures etc :rolleyes:

thanks.

Soldato
I have these, they will work fine out of the box without using any of the software, noise reduction works fine cabled or wireless but you will need to make sure they are charged. I have used them to watch my TV via Bluetooth and there is no lag so not sure if this would be as much of an issue as you think. One thing I can tell you for sure is the included audio cable is rubbish and makes the headphones sound awful so I would advise against using this and using a better quality cable if you really cannot use Bluetooth. They are a great headphone, really lightweight and comfortable and sound pretty decent.

Soldato
how much do you need the noise cancelling?
£200 can get some nice wired headphones which arguably will sound better than the XM3s

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Go have a listen in RS or similar. Headphones appear to be rather a "personal" thing. I've listened to the XM3s and didn't like them at all.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
was there anything in particular sound wise that put you off them? i.e.- to much base, treble etc. ?

Yep, just huge glutinous levels of music swamping bass.
Now some might like that, but that's just not my taste. When compared, none of my current gear does that, whether you're talking about my headphones or speakers.
In their favour, the noise cancelling of the Sony's was very good.

Soldato
the other thing is they sit on your ear instead of over ear, can lead to hot sweaty ears after a bit of use.
Personally prefer the Sennheiser momentum wireless 3, but they usually sell for more than the Sony's

Associate
I use them daily and love them to bits! Use them wirelessly bluetoothed to tv, pc and console games wired and wirelessly with phone. They work great for music, movies, tv and gaming and the NC is really great! I also get what the other user is saying about the bass but I happen to enjoy the more pronounced bass they produce, especially when listening to rock/metal or playing Doom!!

Soldato
the other thing is they sit on your ear instead of over ear, can lead to hot sweaty ears after a bit of use.
Personally prefer the Sennheiser momentum wireless 3, but they usually sell for more than the Sony's

I'm not the smallest guy and my ears are definitely quite large, and my xm3 definitely sit over not on else they wouldn't work!

No they're not as roomy as my beyer dynamic dt770, but definitely over ears.

On that note, if you're using them exclusively wired and exclusively in the house, I would really consider something like the dt770 or other well-sealing closed back headphones. I love my xm3s for out and about, but for in the house I reach for my dt770 every single time even though they're half the price.

They have more than enough isolation to negate the lack of sound cancellation (let's face it they're used by drummers in studios!). They're big and too ugly and lack wireless etc which is why they never leave the house, but take away those requirements and they're much better headphones. Sound isolation is even better if you get the ones with the pleather instead of velour pads

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/beyerdynam...4nRO7pQ1FI-jdusK-axoC8GUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Make sure you get 32 ohm and not the 80 or 250 if you're using with a TV and not a headphone amp, though with your budget you could get an ok headphone amp to run between the tv and them to make them sound absolutely loads better again!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
just an update.
thanks for all the replies.
I've had and used the headphones all week
and i am very happy with them.
I only use them for tv and they are great and the noise cancelling is soooooo good.
I don't seem to be having any muddy bass issues.
I was watching the snooker and could hear the ref scoring on the other tables :D

Associate
just an update.
thanks for all the replies.
I've had and used the headphones all week
and i am very happy with them.
I only use them for tv and they are great and the noise cancelling is soooooo good.
I don't seem to be having any muddy bass issues.
I was watching the snooker and could hear the ref scoring on the other tables :D
Nice! Yeah I would definitely not say the bass is muddy but it certainly is heavier in bass than some other brands, I happen to like that sound though!
Glad to hear you liked them :D

Back
Top Bottom