Returning SORN motorbike to the road..

Soldato
It’s about time I sold my Yamaha YBR125 which has been sat untaxed, uninsured and without an MOT in the garage for the last few years. It’s a great bike. 61 plate and around 4000 miles on the clock. It will benefit someone I’m sure, rather than gather more dust.

I’m assuming the order will be:

MOT
Insurance
Tax

Thing is, how do I get it to the test centre? Assuming I’m going to have to hire a trailer?

Man of Honour
I had to do this with a car recently. The only order I could get it to work was insurance, drive to MOT, then tax it after it passed the MOT and before driving home. You need a valid MOT before you can tax it online. You tax it for the whole month so you do end up covering the tax for the day you rode it to the MOT. I'm not sure what happens if you fail the MOT as you can't tax it until it passes though. Strictly speaking you should tax it before driving/riding to the MOT but that's not possible.

Also I was advised in the main Motors section to check with the insurance company that you are insured in such circumstances.

Soldato
The sequence is insurance
Mot
Then tax
I would tax the bike from my phone before I rode it home.

You can legally ride/drive a vehicle to a mot appointment but it must be pre booked

Soldato
OP
Thanks both. Makes sense and removes the logistic headache of getting it to the test centre. I figured I’d need to show proof of MOT before getting insured, but that’s tax (before it all became electronic).

Soldato
The sequence is insurance
Mot
Then tax
I would tax the bike from my phone before I rode it home.

You can legally ride/drive a vehicle to a mot appointment but it must be pre booked

I'm pretty sure it's to *and from* the pre-booked MOT, so you can safely leave taxing it until you get home, not that it makes that much difference now as it's so easy to tax online...

Back
Top Bottom