PC cuts power FF14

Soldato
Hi, been having an odd issue with my PC. Playing FF14 if i have it on DX11 at some point within the first 30 mins pc will lose power and restart. No event logs other than unexpected shutdown at X time. From googling other people with really similar or the same hardware had either crashes or the exact same behaviour. Been playing it on DX9 instead and had no issues other than a random crash streaming it on discord, which gave me an error no power loss.

Last night however it cut power, rebooted even though i was running DX9, no event logs nothing. My specs are below, but i had a similar issue when i got the 6900xt, the cables in the case were pushing the card ever so slightly out of the slot and when running hashcat at some point it would do the same behaviour however i had to remove the power cable and hold the power button down before it would power on again.

I have taken the card out again, moved any cables that could interfere with the card hoping this will solve the issue.
Just wanted a sanity check, there is no way a software crash could cause a power cycle in this manor right? surely it would put something in event log, crash to desktop or bluescreen rather than cut power and reboot.

Secondly, are Corsair power supplies interchangeable? I have a corsair HX1000i if i bought a new one could i just swap the power supply itself rather than having to swap all the cables in the case.

Ryzen 3900x
Asus WS X570-ACE
32gb Kingston Hyperx (2x HX432C16PB3K2/16)
XFX 6900xt merc
Corsair Hx1000i

Edit: Other than the issues with hashcat when i first installed the card, no other games have crashed or had any issues. Just FF14 this last week, been playing valorant, R6 siege zero issues. I can run hashcat as well, the same load that caused the original crashes, no problems

Associate
Secondly, are Corsair power supplies interchangeable? I have a corsair HX1000i if i bought a new one could i just swap the power supply itself rather than having to swap all the cables in the case.

Yes you can just change the psu unit for most Corsair psus and the new psu will work with the old cables but this is not true for all of them and it is HIGHLY recommended that you replace the cables with the new cables supplied with the new psu. I am not going to check which works with which and will rather say again to change to the new cables with a new psu. If you have a faulty cable it can also cause issues.

Your issue is most likely software related and it looks like you are not the only one with issues with that game.
Yes faulty psu can cause random reboots but do not buy a new psu until you have tested fully. You should install HWmonitor, to check power usage, then Prime95 and Furmark and run Prime Blend and Furmark at the same time. This will fully load the cpu and gpu simultaneously and if the psu has an issue it will most likely show up.

Soldato
OP
Just an update on this, looks like it is just the GPU coming ever so slightly out of the slot. There's very little clearance on this card, will just need to keep an eye on it. Zero crashes since moving the cables about.

Soldato
Just an update on this, looks like it is just the GPU coming ever so slightly out of the slot. There's very little clearance on this card, will just need to keep an eye on it. Zero crashes since moving the cables about.

Have you tried to re seat the GPU if it's not in the slot properly? Though i suspect that isn't your issue as if it was the issue would be everywhere, not just FF14.

Similarly if your pc was shutting down under sustained load it would happen under any sustained load not just FF14, have you done any testing on other games to see if they also cause this crash?

Soldato
OP
Have you tried to re seat the GPU if it's not in the slot properly? Though i suspect that isn't your issue as if it was the issue would be everywhere, not just FF14.

Similarly if your pc was shutting down under sustained load it would happen under any sustained load not just FF14, have you done any testing on other games to see if they also cause this crash?
Aye have done before running hashcat, would run for 5 mins power cut and then would have to yank the power cable and hold down the power button. Plug it back in and then it would boot.

Been a week now, no issues, no crashes/power cuts. The PCB on this card is basically in line with where the pcie slot ends, so anything in the way is enough to cause issues it seems.
Is weird tho that it "works" but just some programs highlight the issue.

Back
Top Bottom