What watch do you wear?

Soldato
Looks very smart :)

Prefer the NTTD NATO over the milanese
Bracelet too

Same! Not a fan of the bracelet. Bond was good but damn, BFI IMAX seating was like flying a budget airline.

Where you have looped the end of the strap at the top back on itself is it into the same metal "hoop" or over the top back into another ?

I've looped it back in on itself in the same keeper. It's almost too short to do so, but works.

Soldato
Glad you enjoyed it - need to get myself out to see it soon !

Is that as the strap is a little short / you have large wrists or both? - sorry I'm after one myself but want to make sure it's long enough to loop back and go into the second keep like :

IMG-20211016-095617-01.jpg

Cheers

IMG-20211016-095546-01.jpg

Soldato
Glad you enjoyed it - need to get myself out to see it soon !

Is that as the strap is a little short / you have large wrists or both? - sorry I'm after one myself but want to make sure it's long enough to loop back and go into the second keep like :

Cheers

Both unfortunately. My wrists aren't crazy big, 7.5". I have this issue with quite a few NATOs, they just aren't quite long enough. Even the Omega NATO which came with my Speedmaster is the same, it just about folds back in to the top keeper. But as long as it can be folded in to the top keeper, I don't mind :).

Here's another shot of where the strap comes up without looping it back over a keeper. If your wrist size is similar to mine, it's got no chance of getting to the second keeper.

Here's a link to the strap. Again it's a very high quality NATO.

izmKMwr.jpg

Associate
I used to wear a watch in the 90s but it would get caught on door frames due to the job of occasionally carrying a box or something. It would either get pulled off, scratched/damaged somehow, just gave up in the end. I'd never wear a ring for the same reason.

Man of Honour
just browsed in-store :p

From experience trying them on results in bad decisions being made when I don't necessarily need to make new bad decisions :just yet p

One thing is for sure, the Grand Seikos look like a more premium watch than a Submariner when side by side in the flesh. There was also a section dedicated to King Seiko in other stores and those were rather substantial too.

Soldato
Made in China/Hong Kong and then gets some quality control versus the really cheap Chinese watch options. Probably making about $100 per watch if not more, which soon adds up if they get decent sales.
Pretty much this. In this price range on an automatic sports watch, volume is the key driver. Their margin is so slim they have to sell hundreds to break even, which works when they offer huge variations of the same watch to try and cater to as many tastes as possible. This in turn leads into their recent foray into the higher price brackets with more exotic materials and movements like the MLJP 8 day power reserve model they did recently; the margin on that is significantly higher and hopefully people who bought into the brand at the lower price will convert to the higher priced models by seeing the value proposition being offered.
For £250 that is an absolute bargain.

Man of Honour
Needs to be date window-free and 38mm max case size though :cool:

Slight update on the Stowa Bronze 6 months in.It's been in water, washed multiple times (covid times etc) and happy to say their claims of a bronze finish that will not oxidise beyond their treatment holds up true. I would definitely buy another bronze with this type of treatment applied to the finish as it stays looking the best balance and no need to worry about corrosion over time and then having to "reset" with lemon juice. Wish other watch makers had this sort of process on bronze models too.

The caseback is the only area where you can see some extra patina but nothing noteworthy. I guess this is due to being in constant contact with skin oils and things so was always going to have some affect.

6-months-in_caseback.jpg

6-months-in_buckle.jpg

6-months-in_lug-case-inner.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom