How to correctly set up subwoofer?

Caporegime
I have a Pioneer VSX-920 with pioneer s11 speakers and a s62w subwoofer, I have the crossover set to 80hz on the amp.

The subwoofer itself has switches for phase, pass through and dials for volume and crossover.

Because I have pass through on, I believe the crossover dial doesn't do anything as its handled by the amp, however how do I know what volume and phase I should have the subwoofer set to?

Soldato
First you need to figure out where you want to place it, and the orientation.

Turn the dial to 12, crossover max, phase 0

Place in your ideal location, as in where you want it to be.

Then sit in main listening position.

Play a track you’re familiar with.

Make a note of the sound. Switch phase. Does it sound more integrated? I.e. can you tell where the sound is coming from sub wise? Switch back phase.

Now move it to another location. Try the same process.

Once you’ve found the location which sounds best/also fits aesthetically, turn down the sub until the sound just gets to the stage wheee you can’t locate it/adjust to your taste.

Soldato
I've always found that setting the sub to 12 o'clock results in it being too loud I normally go for about 9-10. I know everyone always recommends 12, but audessy tells me it's having to cut it down at that point.

Man of Honour
I've always found that setting the sub to 12 o'clock results in it being too loud I normally go for about 9-10. I know everyone always recommends 12, but audessy tells me it's having to cut it down at that point.
The 12-o'clock position is an generic mid-point rather than specific volume advice correct in all circumstances. For some people, the 12-o'clock position might require the amp to produce significant boost because the sub level is too low.

The other reason for using 12-o'clock is that it's easily recognisable, and so the average user will get it set correctly unless they're a complete spanner.

You can always rerun your AV amp's wizard using progressively lower volume settings on the sub. This way you could adjust until Audessey is making no more than a 1-2dB level trim if it bothers you.

Man of Honour
I have a Pioneer VSX-920 with pioneer s11 speakers and a s62w subwoofer, I have the crossover set to 80hz on the amp.

The subwoofer itself has switches for phase, pass through and dials for volume and crossover.

Because I have pass through on, I believe the crossover dial doesn't do anything as its handled by the amp, however how do I know what volume and phase I should have the subwoofer set to?

Your AV receiver set-up wizard takes care of the volume, crossover and phase settings. Your job is to set the sub controls so that the sub gets out of the way and let's the amp do it's job.

Volume to the mid-point gives the amp the biggest range to adjust (trim) the signal level either up or down.

Phase: where the setting range is just 0 and 180 degrees the adjustment is far too coarse to be of any use manually anyway. Whether you set it to 0⁰ or 180⁰ wouldn't matter in theory as the AV amp would adjust the signal phase to override and compensate for the sub setting anyway. There is an argument though for setting at 0⁰ so that the amp doesn't have to manage signal phase that's more than one complete cycle out.

Crossover setting needs to be high or in bypass mode to give the AV amp the maximum range to adjust for each of the speaker channels.

@hornetstinger is correct; phase to 0 and crossover on bypass.

Associate
Place in your ideal location, as in where you want it to be.
Then sit in main listening position.
[...]
Now move it to another location. Try the same process.

There's a much simpler/faster (albeit somewhat counter-intuitive) shortcut for this that doesn't involve lugging your subwoofer round to 10 different locations in the room

Place the subwoofer in your main listening position, then just move around and put your head at each location you would be willing to place the subwoofer. Have someone switch the phases etc as you described above.

Whichever location sounds best, put the subwoofer there

Soldato
There's a much simpler/faster (albeit somewhat counter-intuitive) shortcut for this that doesn't involve lugging your subwoofer round to 10 different locations in the room

Place the subwoofer in your main listening position, then just move around and put your head at each location you would be willing to place the subwoofer. Have someone switch the phases etc as you described above.

Whichever location sounds best, put the subwoofer there

I have previously tried this, but didn’t find it worked so well due to lack of cable length/trying to put a 30kg subwoofer on my sofa

Also wasn’t at listening height

In the end, I went back to the (more annoying) crawling method :p

Associate
I have mine set at 80hz cross over and I also have it adjusted so its not to over powering ! The trick with a subwoofer is you shouldn't notice it there ! Its there to be subtle but enough to give you a boom when there are explosions , When I first set mine up my whole room was shacking non stop ! this isn't the way it should be , adjust so its very subtle and you will enjoy it more

Back
Top Bottom