Upgrade for an oldie

Associate
So I have had a hiatus from PC gaming for the past near 7 years and very much fallen out of touch with everything. Basically I have dug my old rig out and looking at what I have to work with it seems like I am going to have to go full replacement on everything. Barring case, SSD and PSU I hope.

Currently I have an old
ASUS GEFORCE GTX 970 DIRECTCU II OC STRIX 4096MB GDDR5
AMD phenom II X6 1075T
DDR 3 Ram think it is 8gb but may be 16, need to check
Some form of AM3+ mobo
And a 750 watt semi modular power supply that was decent back in the day

I have a feeling there is going to be no way to gradually upgrade this system. One way I am tempted to go is do everything apart from the GPU for now and then when I have some more funds upgrade that when hopefully from what I have read the prices return to normal, but I may be looking at 6 months to a year or am I better off just holding out and saving till I can do it all. I realise my graphics card will be a bottleneck

This is the set up I have come up with, if anybody can make any changes to make it better and/or cheaper and good that would be most handy. I am looking at gaming preferably 4k, would like to give this ray tracing and dlss stuff a go.

YOUR ORDER
1 X MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk (AMD AM4) B550 ATX Motherboard - £129.95
SKU: MB-359-MS
1 X AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT Eight Core 4.7GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail (100-100000279WOF) - £299.99
SKU: CP-3C5-AM
1 X Crucial Ballistix 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit - £139.99
SKU: MY-20N-CR
1 X Akasa AK-CB8-8-EXT 8 Pin Extension - 30 cm - £3.49
SKU: CB-081-AK
1 X Alpenfohn Brocken ECO Advanced CPU Cooler - 120 mm - £29.99
SKU: HS-05J-AL
1 X Gigabyte Aorus GeForce RTX 3060Ti Elite V2 LHR 8GB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card - £699.95
SKU: GX-1EE-GI
Grand Total: £1,314.46

The extension cable is just because my power supply one doesn't reach the ATX 12v apart from stretching over the top of my graphics card and it just isn't right. That £700 just for a graphics card just isn't happening at the same time as the rest of it though sadly, I'm not that rich, just the one I think I want.

Soldato
Personally I'd hold off till you manage to get a GPU at a decent price which with the way things are currently could end up being closer to next summer, by then there will also be new CPUs out and prices on the current stuff will likely have dropped.

If going 4K and want RT you really need an RTX3080 which are around £1200 right now with only the scarce FE models being well priced at £650.

Failing that the new consoles offer a good 4K gaming experience and are much better VFM than PC gaming right now.

Soldato
What's the precise model of that PSU?
Unless it was top level PSU wouldn't trust it anymore.

Also long time storage without use is bad for electrolytic capacitors.
Though at least aluminium oxide layer hasn't broken down badly.
(because you can't miss the consequencies of short circuiting capacitor)

And just forget below Ryzen 5xxx models, unless you're just looking to get already outdated stuff.
Or then get more budget CPU now and update CPU later when having more money.
Zen3 is 15-20% faster in gaming than that two years old Zen2 and refresh coming during winter with 3D stacked cache is going to increase performance 15% from Zen3.

Anyway 3840x2160 resolution has so much pixels to render than in most games bottleneck is completely in GPU.
(especially if you want to use raytracing 2560x1440 would be better resolution for that budget graphics cards)

And for CPU performance 3600MHz memory is preferable.

Soldato
You could spend less and get a full Pre-built PC to be honest.

+1 you'd be as well just selling your current PC for £100-200 (or at least the GTX970 video card) and buying a whole new system. That way you'll have no issues buying a GPU either.

What monitor will you be using?

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like I am going to be holding out for a while then till I can do the lot. Start trying to relearn and get myself back up to date on everything. Will definitely sign to that partalert thanks for that quartz.

I'm probably not going to buy a pre built one, I like building them part of the satisfaction of it for me is to know I put it together. Though I did think it and thought it will work out cheaper or the same price.

I am going to be having it on my TV, currently 50inch I have a Xbox series X already but am a pc gamer at heart. I don't play any fast paced shooters or anything like that so not too worried about the latency issues.

Thanks again for the replies. Feel very out of touch with it all and you are all talking some sense into me

Associate
Sign up to FE Partalert on Telegram to get yourself a FE GPU at MSRP. You'll be able to get a RTX 3080 for your money.

I don't think there are any more 3080 but you can get a 3070ti that method which is still better/cheaper.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom