Sharing FTTH connection with detached anexxe

Associate
Having read some of the pinned posts I'm afraid I'm still struggling to wrap my head around the best way to do this.

In 2 weeks I'm having a Fibre to the home connection installed from the pot on the road to my house 40 meters away. We also have a detatched annexe around 20m away from the main house which is currently provided with internet via a separate phone line.

Obviously I'd like to take advantage of the fibre line in both buildings if possible without compromising connectivity in the annexe as there is around 4 hardwired devices being used plus WiFi devices.

I'm planning on pre diggging the portion of the trench between the two buildings and running a sheilded cat6 from where the fibre will enter the house and the annexe.

The provider uses the linksys velop system to act as a router and mesh wifi system as far as I am aware. With my limited knowledge I'm wondering if I can just purchase a Linksys router to install in the annexe that can just act as an extension of the mesh network and still be able to utilise the 4 ethernet ports for the hardwired devices? Something is telling me it won't be quite as simple as that, or I may be barking up the wrong tree completely.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on the best way to do this?

Apologies if some of my explanation is lacking but as I said, I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to networks like this.

Thank you.

Soldato
You can do exactly that. On the router you use in the anexxe, you just need to plug the ethernet cable into it, set it to bridge or repeater mode, disable DHCP and there shouldn't be much more to it than that.

Associate
OP
Well there's a surprise! Thanks Andy. So are there any routers on the market which are more suitable for this application than others? I was going to get one of the Linksys ones which support the velop mesh system for around £100. Is this overkill or about right?

Soldato
Have the edge router in the house, and use a gigabit switch in the annexe. Add a wireless AP using the switch as required. Definitely, absolutely, really don't use shielded cat-anything cable unless you have a shielded and separately grounded switch (hint: at home I'm 99.99% certain you don't) and all cables are crimped with shielded jacks. Just use external grade cable and run it in trunking of some description. Run at least two cables for redundancy and leave a pull line (eg nylon washing line) installed too for future use.

Caporegime
Agreed with the above, don't bother with shielded cable. Just get some 20mm flexible conduit and bury that, then run in an external grade Cat6 cable.

Associate
OP
Oops. Typically I've already ordered a reel of shielded Cat6 not realising there was a difference between shielded and external grade. Out of curiosity, why would shielded be a no go for this type of use? I will cancel/ammend the order tomorrow as I've now seen they offer a non shielded external grade on the same site.

Soldato
Oops. Typically I've already ordered a reel of shielded Cat6 not realising there was a difference between shielded and external grade. Out of curiosity, why would shielded be a no go for this type of use? I will cancel/ammend the order tomorrow as I've now seen they offer a non shielded external grade on the same site.
As mentioned above, because it has metallic content under the sheathing, it should in theory be grounded (then again, so should all external runs).

Just go with a Cat6 PE External Grade from the likes of Excel or Connectix.

Soldato
As mentioned above, because it has metallic content under the sheathing, it should in theory be grounded (then again, so should all external runs).

Just go with a Cat6 PE External Grade from the likes of Excel or Connectix.

Yup. To be specific, when not properly grounded at one end shielded cable's foil covering acts as a huge antennae running the length of your cable. All it does is attract a ton of interference literally touching your data wires... Not good.

Back
Top Bottom