GCSE and A-level from home?

Soldato
I'm 36 with hardly any official education and I'd like to change that so I thought I'd look into doing GCSEs and A-levels.

Unfortunately I can't really leave the house (no it is not related to COVID) so I'd be looking at remote learning. Is this possible? I'd need to do the exam at home as well.

Soldato
A reputable brand like learndirect have a 400 hour course (equivalent to 10 'full working weeks') at 68 quid a month including the exam. This is for one subject so it may get expensive. Maybe do 1 at a time if you're not in a rush.

Good on you for giving it a go though! Don't let anyone dissuade you for whatever reasons.

Man of Honour
Is it possible? Almost certainly yes. But I guess a question worth asking is why you want to get educational qualifications. What is the goal? This may influence which qualifications you aim for.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Do you need actual GCSE's & A Levels or are you just looking to open the door to a certain career?

You'll likely find you can do a college course centered to a career you're interested in and if they feel you need it, GCSE or other courses to top you up along side it.

Associate
I'm 36 with hardly any official education and I'd like to change that so I thought I'd look into doing GCSEs and A-levels.

Unfortunately I can't really leave the house (no it is not related to COVID) so I'd be looking at remote learning. Is this possible? I'd need to do the exam at home as well.
I'm sure it's possible. But would be required to formal exams at the end of them with in a class? I don't know. It was decades ago when me when I did that.

Soldato
Do you need actual GCSE's & A Levels or are you just looking to open the door to a certain career?

You'll likely find you can do a college course centered to a career you're interested in and if they feel you need it, GCSE or other courses to top you up along side it.

Everything this guy said.

I'm sure it's possible. But would be required to formal exams at the end of them with in a class? I don't know. It was decades ago when me when I did that.

Not exactly. I did an Access course in College as a mature student, which was required to gain entry to University. The tests you take during the Access course are open book. University on the other hand is much more difficult and is a huge step up from GCSE's and A-level. If OP is looking to change career I'd highly recommend it.

Soldato
OP

I'm really looking to enhance my skills in science and maths. I could do the same thing with a decent list of books to work through but I figured having a course with a specific syllabus would help me learn as it'll be more organised. I'm not looking for a job in the subject(s) at the moment.

I also already have an access but it was in the humanities instead so not that helpful.

Thank you all so far.

Caporegime
I'm really looking to enhance my skills in science and maths. I could do the same thing with a decent list of books to work through but I figured having a course with a specific syllabus would help me learn as it'll be more organised. I'm not looking for a job in the subject(s) at the moment.

I also already have an access but it was in the humanities instead so not that helpful.

Thank you all so far.

If you're just looking to learn more then are the exams really necessary? Unless you're just using them as a benchmark of your knowledge that is.

Associate
Doing the course at home would be no problem. The issue is you would need to do the external exams at a centre.
You can contact an exam board who should be able to recommend a centre nearby.

Soldato
Doing the course at home would be no problem. The issue is you would need to do the external exams at a centre.
You can contact an exam board who should be able to recommend a centre nearby.

May need access to a lab if doing science too

Back
Top Bottom