5-port 2.5GbE switches

Soldato
I'm after an un-managed 5-port 2.5GbE switch to hang off my main multi-Gb switch over at most 20m of CAT5. I've tested that the cable will support 2.5Gb by using a Pluggable USB3 NIC on my laptop. So far I've found suitable switches from QNAP, TrendNet, TP-Link and Zyxel. The TrendNet & Zyxel (and the QNAP to a lesser extent) appear to be badged versions of the same item. Has anyone had any experience with any of these or seen any comparative reviews?

Soldato
OP
Thanks. I'd seen one or two other discouraging comments about the QNAP so it was already bottom of the list. I'm leaning towards the TP-Link even though it's the most expensive.

Associate
Ooops, just upstairs in the other office and realised I have the QNAP 2.5 G QNAP QSW-1105-5T .....I'm obviously getting to that age :o :D it has been fine for our use but perhaps it does not get loaded enough to be a problem. I was looking at both back when purchasing and just went with the cheapest, guess that was the QNAP.

But I definitely have the Tplink SX-105 5p 10G which'll do 2.5 and 5g too, so decent.

Soldato
OP
I have an SX1008 which would be a great switch if it didn't howl like demon. It has a 40mm 6500rpm fan which has to be replaced with a Noctua to make it useable. It's a well-known problem with that switch that TP-Link won't admit. I'll still probably go for the SG105 for the remote swtich as it's fanless.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I do highly recomend USW-Enterprise-8-PoE, as they are mega little switches. I have two of them and they have been floorless but the downside is they are not cheap at all but they are worth it if you can run to it IMO.

Back
Top Bottom