Pc won’t turn on after bios update?! Help?!

Associate
Hi guys.

Ok so I have a a Asrock motherboard b150a-x.

So it automatically sets to fast boot and fast boot stops you from getting into bios.

Whilst I was looking around I found out I had a bios update. Stupidly I updated.

Now my computer is completely bricked. When I turn the computer on, fans spin up but the monitor stays black. So I am unable to do anything.

I thought maybe it is because the monitor is plugged into GPU so I plugged monitor directly into motherboard. This cured nothing.

I did the cmos reset with the jumper, this did nothing.

I removed battery and this also did nothing.

I have now removed the hard drive, plugged it into another computer and wiped it. I put a windows 7 CD into the computer and started it up hoping to fresh install but this did nothing.

I am still getting a black screen when starting the computer up.

is there anything else I can do? I didn’t realise updating a motherboard can damage the moth board lol.

Soldato
Did you install it via Windows? Did it complete without errors?

The safest way to update BIOS is via the BIOS itself, it usually has an updater built into it which installs off of a USB stick.

If the BIOS update fails then nothing on the motherboard can function sadly.

Associate
OP
Well I just downloaded it and started the install from windows. I did have problems when it downloaded though. When the computer restarted whilst updating the black screen happened and just stayed on it for hours.

So I think something went wrong.

Since then I have just switched the computer off and back on again and the black screen happens again.

Its a bit weird because I have the small speaker on the motherboard and it’s not making any error noises

Soldato
Hi guys thanks for the replies, I have just purchased a new motherboard and cpu. This time I will not touch the bios haha!
You can update the bios just make sure its done through the bios screen and not through Windows.

Normally you put the bios on a USB stick, go in to the bios and update it through there.

Associate
I was setting up a new laptop.
It took most of a day, all my favourite software installed and configured.
Enabled BitLocker, just to be on the safe side. Set a PIN. Prompt to print off the recovery keys, oh I'll do that in a minute.
Finishing touch is a BIOS Update.

This works.

Then I restart ... "Please Enter your BitLocker Recovery Key"
Errr, can I borrow a Tardis?

Back
Top Bottom