Alienware r7 upgrade

Associate
Hello I have an alienware r7 with I7 8700 8th gen processor 8gb ram and a gxt 1060 gpu. I was looking to upgrade the ram and (1 of the rtx30 series) gpu in the pc but some people say it will get to hot in the A/W case so now am looking at upgrading the case, motherboard to a gigabyte z390 aorus pro using the i7 8700 1 of the rtx 30 series gpu, 850w psu and HyperX Fury Beast RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C18 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit is there any way to see the performance of the set up without buying all the parts

Last edited:
Soldato
Yep, I would describe Alienware cases as polished turd.
Also PSUs are no doubt cheapast passable, like in pretty much all market and prebuilt PCs.
Latest Nvidia's top cards are extremely power hungry and pump out as much heat.

But zero sense to start buying new board for basic level 6 core CPU (for perspective that's fewer cores than in consoles) without even upgrade path on that platform.
Also would consider 32GB somewhat questionable with 6 cores lack of muscle for both heavy games and background stuff.

Soldato
So the RAM upgrade should be no problem.
For the graphics card a blower design would work. Ref RX 5700XT, 1080TI, Radeon Vega etc.

You would need to weigh up the costs of moving the system to a new case, I would recommend you upgrade the HSF to something like a Noctua NH-L9 to cool the motherboards VRM. I’d also recommend a AMD card to use with the i7 8700. RTX cards are very heavy on CPU utilisation and you’ll take a big performance hit.

Back
Top Bottom