• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

HELP NEEDED!!

Associate
Hi there,

I purchased a Sapphire Radeon RX6900XT and I'm having so many issue, it crashes when playing games - can never have it on high settings - says the driver has reset.
I've tried uninstalling and re-installing drivers etc
The rest of the setup is Ryzen 9 3950x ,32gig ram and 850w power..

Any ideas? - I'm worried my brand new card is faulty

Soldato
any oc going on? If so turn it off?
ddu the drivers to do fresh?
bios update?
chipset drivers from amd site up to date?

any error reports in admin events stuff come up?

Do any benchmarks thats cpu and gpu heavy to see which is the unstable element?

Memory timings ok? xmp or if xmp sets em wrong as some do, manually enter them?

Is it doing it in certain games or all, i.e is dx games crash but vulkan ones maybe ok etc?

Does undervolting help?

With such high end components i would have thought maybe psu maybe but you say its crashing games not powering pc off when you play em which is the only experience of a weak psu ive ever found so im not thinking that yet unless its one of them bad psus that gamernexus tinkered with not long ago.

Id also check ur cooling like hotspots on gpu, then cpu etc.

Also go look up ur gpu for a bios update, never know if a new one fixes such issues. Btw if u have dual bios on it try switching it to the other one and test that like a silent mode one.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Sorry I wrote this when I was getting stressed with it lol

Okay - No OC, latest bios, latest drivers (and tried older drivers), benchmarks don't crash but does stutter at times, timings all good.
PC doesn't shut off, just the screens go black for about 10 seconds then come back saying the driver has reset.
pretty much every game stutters, all the cooling is clear and clean.... Kinda lost at this point.

Soldato
Nothing in the background, from what I can see from the log the only thing relatable is the cpumetricsserver.exe has an application error & Radeonsoftware.exe

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/754353/i-think-i-discovered-a-bug-in-amds-radeon-software/

Use DDU to remove the drivers in safe mode and also make sure to reinstall the latest chipset drivers for that motherboard from the AMD site first then install the latest drivers for the graphics card.

Soldato
Had the same issues with my Vega64, proper pain in the ass. Used DDU, fresh chipset drivers and then latest Graphics and it was fine ;)

Yep, I rarely get any major issues but try to keep the BIOS, OS, chipset driver and GPU drivers up-to-date. It makes a huge difference.

Back
Top Bottom