Just me, or does most audio go through centre channel in surround content?

Soldato
Since switching to a 5.1 setup, one thing I have noticed is how heavily the centre channel is used.

I thought the centre channel would be pretty much dialogue only but seems to be a lot more goes through it.

In some films, I really do think the left and right channels are an afterthought. Maybe my setup is fuffed but maybe just me being weird.

Soldato
Depends on the content. If it's an action movie with a sound track playing over a lively scene, then a lot of the speakers are getting utilized, especially left and right fronts for music tracks. If it's mostly a dialogue scene then yes, a lot will be centre channel. This is why a lot will advise you to spend more on the centre speaker making it well matched to the left and right fronts and at least as powerful. A lot of people used to buy a couple of powerful floor standers for front right and left, neglecting the centre channel to fit something weaker in under the TV, then a couple of "anything will do" rear surrounds. Then they wonder why it sounds a bit rubbish.

I'll admit that I haven't heard many setups where the surround speakers in a 5.1 setup noticeably sound weak and poor quality. It's almost always the balance of the front LCR setup that counts. Everything plays a role though. My current setup is nothing without a sub, as I have very shallow, wall mountable speakers.

It also will depend how well mastered the surround track is. If it is falling back to Dolby Pro Logic or something, then it won't be as good as a proper Dolby Digital or DTS track I guess.

Soldato
Depends on the content. If it's an action movie with a sound track playing over a lively scene, then a lot of the speakers are getting utilized, especially left and right fronts for music tracks. If it's mostly a dialogue scene then yes, a lot will be centre channel. This is why a lot will advise you to spend more on the centre speaker making it well matched to the left and right fronts and at least as powerful. A lot of people used to buy a couple of powerful floor standers for front right and left, neglecting the centre channel to fit something weaker in under the TV, then a couple of "anything will do" rear surrounds. Then they wonder why it sounds a bit rubbish.

I'll admit that I haven't heard many setups where the surround speakers in a 5.1 setup noticeably sound weak and poor quality. It's almost always the balance of the front LCR setup that counts. Everything plays a role though. My current setup is nothing without a sub, as I have very shallow, wall mountable speakers.

It also will depend how well mastered the surround track is. If it is falling back to Dolby Pro Logic or something, then it won't be as good as a proper Dolby Digital or DTS track I guess.
got to agree with this, recently upgraded my LCR, when the speakers first arrived I only connected up the centre at first and immediately noticed a difference, although part of that could have been receiver as I upgraded receiver at same time, same brand though so wouldn't have expected a hugely different sound.

Soldato
OP
I have 4 X Monitor Audio Bronze 2's and the Monitor Audio Bronze center.

I think the center is about crap compared to the standmounts.

I swapped the center for one of the Bronze 2's and to me it sounded better. Center speakers a scam?

Soldato
One of the reasons I don't bother with a centre speaker and just run 4.1

As I live alone and am always sat directly in front of the TV, having a centre speaker really offers little benefit. I appreciate if you have multiple viewers and can't all sit in the perfect centre spot then having dialog coming from a centre has benefits but, as stated above, too much non-dialogue sound goes through them.

What makes me laugh is all the videos claiming the centre speaker is the most important one in your set up. Sure, if you're going to use one then don't skimp on it, which is what they're trying to say but, as you can happily do without it completely, by definition it can't be the most important :)

I'll put heights/ceilings in and go Atmos before I bother with a centre.

Associate
If you're using one: The centre is the most important speaker in your system; provided it's positioned correctly. Ideally, your centre should be the exact same type of speaker as your L&R. I use M&K S150 speakers across the front for that reason.

If you have only one listening position; then you can get away with not using a centre; as your L&R will create a decent image and will be timbre matched (vs using a compromised "centre" that's slightly different to your L&R).

Soldato
I run 4.1, but the to have the vocals at a reasonable sound level I'm finding any action scenes or music is very, very loud, this difference in sound levels annoys me and I have to constantly hold the control and turn the volume up or down.

Soldato
I run 4.1, but the to have the vocals at a reasonable sound level I'm finding any action scenes or music is very, very loud, this difference in sound levels annoys me and I have to constantly hold the control and turn the volume up or down.

Its the same with a centre. Dynamic volume adjustments on the receivers can lessen the issue though.

Associate
That sounds like me.
I had a pair of massive front floorstanders and always had trouble hearing dialogue in action movies and such like from the centre.
I've recently switched to a smaller pair with less emphasis on the lower frequencies.Now dialogue is much easier to hear,I guess because the speakers are more balanced.
I do miss the bass though and music sounds pretty crap compared to the previous setup.I suppose I can't have it always without spending big

Soldato
That sounds like me.
I had a pair of massive front floorstanders and always had trouble hearing dialogue in action movies and such like from the centre.
I've recently switched to a smaller pair with less emphasis on the lower frequencies.Now dialogue is much easier to hear,I guess because the speakers are more balanced.
I do miss the bass though and music sounds pretty crap compared to the previous setup.I suppose I can't have it always without spending big

Should just have added a center speaker

Permabanned
Yes, far too much stuff gets pushed through the centre, even music which you would think would be stero mixed and hence go through L/R. Is one of the reasons increasing centre speaker doesn't always help with dialogue audiabiliy. I reckon movie soundtracks would be much better if the centre was reserved for dialogue alone.

Back
Top Bottom