Ski Resort with Long, Wide Green Runs

Soldato
I rate la Plagne for anyone to be fair. Have been there several times and great with fresh snow. A tonne of decent lift served off-piste.

Yeah of the four I mentioned I'd probably be keenest to go back to La plagne, mainly as I did the least of it.

The tunnel through the mountain is good! Although was difficult at the time on a snowboard when busy!

Soldato
I can’t claim to be particularly proficient at skiing or snowboarding but I have tried both. Snowboarding at Borovets a few years ago, and skiing over Christmas in Kaprun.

The main red slope in Borovets (opposite the Rila Hotel) is tame in comparison to the main blue in Kaprun Centre. The blue at Kaprun is longer and steeper, and while it is wider for most of the run, there is a pinch point where it goes quite narrow and then you hit the steepest point of the run.

All of the runs from the Glacier at Kaprun (Kitzsteinhorn) looked particularly narrow (although I didn't ski on the glacier), so I would probably avoid Austria.

However, as others have said, a slightly steeper blue run might be better for you than a green.

My work colleague suggested Canada if you can stomach the flight.

Associate
Hi all,

I’ve recently taken up snowboarding and looking for some recommendations for ski resorts which have long and wide green runs where I can practice and really nail my basic skills (wide turns and tight turns etc) before progressing onto blues and beyond. I’m 49 and finding that blue runs are just a little too steep given my current skill level. Falling over far more frequently on the blues and this is taking a toll on the body!

I’ve just got back from a few days in Borovets, Bulgaria, which was OK. However the green runs weren’t particularly long (maybe 400m long) and involved a 25 minute walk, ‘skate’ and chairlift to get to the top again after one short ride down. I felt that they needed to be 2 or 3 times longer. The green runs were also at the top of the mountain and the gondola was often closed due to winds. The green run at the main resort was crazy busy and only 2-300m long.

For my current skill and confidence level a wide green run of 1000+m length with good access (button lift or chair lift) would be perfect ie ride down, hop onto lift to get back to top in 10 mins, rinse and repeat. Any suggestions? Ideally Europe but would consider North America (eg Lake Louise, Alberta looks perfect).

Cheers,

The main resort centre at Alpe D'Huez is littered with greens, some very wide indeed.

https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Alpe-d-Huez/pistemap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb2trxIpqWU

It'll be your best bet in Europe, for sure. I went for my 3rd week boarding about 10 years back, lots of variety.

Some decent blues aswell, and you really want to be moving onto blues sooner rather than later.

Associate
From memory most of the large, popular resorts have a reasonable selection of beginner / intermediate runs. I went to Whistler a lot when I was younger which has loads of runs of all types but the last few years I went it was just too busy to be fun, and it's also not conducive to building confidence.
Fair play to you for learning at 49. I learnt to snowboard when I was about 13 and my arse took a real beating for the first day or so even then :D

Soldato
I went Borovets a few years ago with friends that have never been skiing. I decided to try snowboarding so that I can get lessons same time they were and then meet up after. (I went back to skiing after 3rd morning, skiing is much more me :D)
Previously I have been 3 times skiing in various locations, so not advanced but more than basics.
It's a great resort to learn on I'd say (because it's so cheap relatively), but you wouldn't want to go there a second time (well I wouldn't anyway). It's a fairly small resort, so the runs aren't particularly long, nor as many. You do have some fun runs, but I felt it getting a little same-y after doing it over and over. And yeah at the top (where the better runs were), the gondola was closed for a some days because of weather I think. Whether that's more usual than not for this resort I don't know.
After 1 or 2 trips, I'd pay the extra to go somewhere bigger/better.

Permabanned
I went Borovets a few years ago with friends that have never been skiing. I decided to try snowboarding so that I can get lessons same time they were and then meet up after. (I went back to skiing after 3rd morning, skiing is much more me :D)
Previously I have been 3 times skiing in various locations, so not advanced but more than basics.
It's a great resort to learn on I'd say (because it's so cheap relatively), but you wouldn't want to go there a second time (well I wouldn't anyway). It's a fairly small resort, so the runs aren't particularly long, nor as many. You do have some fun runs, but I felt it getting a little same-y after doing it over and over. And yeah at the top (where the better runs were), the gondola was closed for a some days because of weather I think. Whether that's more usual than not for this resort I don't know.
After 1 or 2 trips, I'd pay the extra to go somewhere bigger/better.

Skiing from the top to the bottom where the gondola starts is pretty long, actually.
The gondola gets closed only under windy conditions, rarely.

Better there than in the super expensive Austria, where if something happens to you, you would pay a lot for the health service. Better don't go to Austria.

Caporegime
I liked Meribel, there's a lot of nice runs for Snowboarders there, and a lot of bubble lifts rather than chair or (horror of horrors) drag lifts. Accommodation in Mottaret (slightly higher up the mountain) is usually cheaper. It's part of the Three Valleys so there's masses of slopes available, but as a beginner you probably won't need to go out of the valley you're staying in.

Just be careful of a few narrow, winding green runs through the trees that are a nightmare for borders.

Associate
Back
Top Bottom