Which operator in London?

Associate
I signed up for Three since its cheap but I realised the signal is really bad, does anyone know if it will get better with 5G once I get my pro 13? I have a few weeks to cancel the contract.

What operator do you recommend? I need unlimited or high data sim only.

Soldato
As above, I found EE to be best for London, especially in Central, with other networks it was either no spots or bad congestion issues. There's a couple of areas where it still struggles, but it's better out of the 4.

Soldato
Wife has 5G on her Three phone and it doesn't make a damn bit of difference. Her signal is still ****, even using WiFi Calling options.

My Vodafone 5G is pretty decent and signals are usually 75% just about anywhere inside the M25. We even get reasonable signal working trackside out on the Underground, which is why work went with Vodafone for our business phones.
EE are generally reckoned to be the best, but when I last looked about 2 months ago they were also the most expensive.

Soldato
EE are generally reckoned to be the best, but when I last looked about 2 months ago they were also the most expensive.

Luckily you're not limited to EE itself, MVNOs that uses their network also benefits from them. I'm with BT broadband at home so it knocks down £5 a month off on my mobile contract. I believe Virgin offers something similar too although I would imagine they'll migrate over to O2 in the future, and I found O2 had really bad congestion issues.

Soldato
I was with virgin and they claimed to use EE signal but even they map coverage checker wasn't the same. And I definitely had coverage more akin to the virgin one than the EE one, so it wasn't like they just didn't update the map since switching to EE.

Associate
OP
Wife has 5G on her Three phone and it doesn't make a damn bit of difference. Her signal is still ****, even using WiFi Calling options.

My Vodafone 5G is pretty decent and signals are usually 75% just about anywhere inside the M25. We even get reasonable signal working trackside out on the Underground, which is why work went with Vodafone for our business phones.

I just called 3 and asked to cancel, they said I bhave to pay £250, I contacted complaints and mentioned about the signal and they let me cancel for free. I'll go with EE.

Man of Honour
I was with virgin and they claimed to use EE signal but even they map coverage checker wasn't the same. And I definitely had coverage more akin to the virgin one than the EE one, so it wasn't like they just didn't update the map since switching to EE.

A lot of Virgin customers (not just 5G) have been moved over to the Vodafone network now.

EDIT: Additionally some will be moving to O2 though not sure if that is happening yet.

Soldato
A lot of Virgin customers (not just 5G) have been moved over to the Vodafone network now.

EDIT: Additionally some will be moving to O2 though not sure if that is happening yet.
It definitely wasn't vodafone either because vodafone is who I moved to and the signal with them is fantastic. Nor O2, as my wife is on that and she's had no issues. My new house was almost a blackspot with virgin.

Man of Honour
It definitely wasn't vodafone either because vodafone is who I moved to and the signal with them is fantastic. Nor O2, as my wife is on that and she's had no issues. My new house was almost a blackspot with virgin.

Probably different frequencies/tech then - IIRC they don't precisely use the same setup as EE.

Soldato
IMO it really depends where you're living and working. But my experience of living in Elephant and Castle and then Enfield, and working in Old Street, here are my observations:
  • EE - decent pretty much everywhere
  • Virgin (EE) - see above
  • Three - no signal at all when I was in Elephant and Castle, and dropped calls here in Enfield
  • O2 - no issues at all, and also lets me set a preference for Wifi or network calling which is great when I'm in an area with flaky signal but decent WiFI (not all networks let you do this).

Back
Top Bottom