Wheel size... what's the deal?

Associate
OP
My Kodaiq was running on 19" wheels and it felt good. It was the 150bhp version. The X3 I am considering will be the 40d (250+ odd bhp) so is there some consideration on wheel size with an increase in power?

Soldato
My Kodaiq was running on 19" wheels and it felt good. It was the 150bhp version. The X3 I am considering will be the 40d (250+ odd bhp) so is there some consideration on wheel size with an increase in power?

Not really, not in a car like an SUV anyway.

Some people feel when on track a smaller sidewall gives better turn in when you get into the upper echelons of semi slick/full slick performance tyres. Even then a lot of people will still prefer smaller wheels as they're less prone to snap over/understeer on track unless you're a professional racing driver and its easier to mash over the kerbs.

F1 cars do quite nicely on 13" wheels with massive sidewalls.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Ive happily run 300+bhp SUV on 18" and 19" rims and they never felt lacking in performance. I mean who really is trying to push an SUV which can weigh almost 2.5 tonnes to the limit round bends to even notice the tyre difference between an 18" with a high sidewall or a 22" low profile?

It wasnt that long ago high performance 3 series only came on 19" rims. The 21" + are only there for looks and to get more money from you esp when you then need new tyres.

Soldato
Does such a thing exist? They all seem to be absolutely tragic cars and I can totally see why people would want an SUV instead.
Galaxy, S-Max, Estima, Elgrand, FRV(?), C4 SpaceTourer, Touran, Model X

The only one that makes my stomach churn is the 2 series and Berlingo.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Re the decision on rim size for a specific car, just look at the width and sidewall for the tyre in that size, this will tell you which one to go for on any car.

My X3 rides on 275/40/19 - clearly the right size (as in, the largest acceptable size) rim for the car, any larger and the tyre would start to be a real compromise on the sort of use that we have for a 4x4 car.

The X3 mentioned in this thread is a newer model, so may differ, but for any car the same applies. Learnt this the hard way with a Mercedes with stupidly low profile tyres, never doing that again.

Soldato
Realistically you should have a wheel size that will fit the brakes of a car. No more.

That's why the old BTTC cars had huge wheels as the brakes were massive.

F1 cars still run on 13" for now at least.

Yep but on racing/track focused cars the suspension is also set up perfectly for the wheels and everything else, even the type of tyre. The manufacturer puts a lot of time in to that rather than the tat.

They don't bother on normal road cars. They just slap on some cheap springs, shocks, massive alloys and an M badge.

Man of Honour
19". Bigger wheels just mean more expensive tyres, worse ride and lower fuel economy. In some cases it can even mean higher tax (a byproduct of the worse economy if it puts it over an emissions threshold), although that's unlikely to be the case with cars from recent years due to the tax changes.

Man of Honour
Yep I did mean 40d. If they all come with 21" then I don't have much of a choice, except maybe swapping them out for smaller wheels?

To clarify - you are looking at an M40d, correct? The 40d is only available as the M Performance model at significantly higher cost than the rest of the range. You can't buy a regular 40d SE, X-Line or M Sport in the UK.

Your OP says you were looking at a 30d, where the wheel options are quite different.

I've been looking at purchasing a used 18 plate BWM X3 30D

Soldato
Not sure if it has been mentioned but smaller wheel size equals more rubber equals far less chance of kerbing very expensive alloys. No matter how much I try to keep large alloys with low profile tyres from getting kerbed, there is always that one car park with idiotically high kerbs and tight turns at the entrance/exit. Or that little historic town that has a one way system through tiny narrow victorian streets with giant granite kerbs.

I have ordered a Q5 50 Vorsprung through work and it comes with 21" alloys and could not spec any lower. I asked for 19" alloys and was told it was not possible. So I know these will be kerbed sooner or later. I plan to ask if the dealer can fit rim protectors.

Man of Honour
I asked for 19" alloys and was told it was not possible.

It is, just don't order the Vorsprung. The whole point in that model is that it's got everything, if you don't want everything the other trim levels let you pick what you do and don't want.

Soldato
It is, just don't order the Vorsprung. The whole point in that model is that it's got everything, if you don't want everything the other trim levels let you pick what you do and don't want.

The only Q4 that comes with 19" alloys are the Sport models and the sport models cannot be specced with.

Rear privacy glass
Interior ambient lighting
Electric memory seats
Panoramic roof

So it was a case of 19" alloys and miss out the other things I actually want. Or get these things and live with 21" alloys.

Soldato
Not sure if it has been mentioned but smaller wheel size equals more rubber equals far less chance of kerbing very expensive alloys. No matter how much I try to keep large alloys with low profile tyres from getting kerbed, there is always that one car park with idiotically high kerbs and tight turns at the entrance/exit. Or that little historic town that has a one way system through tiny narrow victorian streets with giant granite kerbs.

I have ordered a Q5 50 Vorsprung through work and it comes with 21" alloys and could not spec any lower. I asked for 19" alloys and was told it was not possible. So I know these will be kerbed sooner or later. I plan to ask if the dealer can fit rim protectors.
Some tyres have built in rim protection (sorry makes me chuckle).

Back
Top Bottom