Pointers on how to bridge LAN with WiFi

Associate
Hi all, I work in a shared office spare with internet/WiFi provided by the landlord. However, for work I need to do a little networking on some embedded systems and thus need control over the network while maintaining the internet access provided by the building.

I would like to have a subnet I'm in control of with a WiFi bridge, there is no option for a wired connection. I have a Linux PC running 24/7 and a Netgear JGS524 switch. I was thinking of getting a USB WiFi dongle for the Linux machine while it bridges the networks and runs a DHCP server. I had a stab at this but I couldn't get the DHCP to work (my macbook did not get an IP through the switch).

My preferred option would be to buy a router off the shelf which handles all the networking removing the dependance on the Linux machine. I haven't found such a device that provides a new subnet however.

Could anyone give me some pointers on how to go about this and what to buy? I've got a few hundred to spend if really necessary.

Thanks!

Soldato
The TP-Link TL-WR902AC travel router also supports client mode. You’d need to add a switch to expand its single network port.

Any wireless router that supports client mode should do what you want. I believe DD-WRT supports it which expands the options.

Soldato
I have a TL-WA901N that acts as a wireless bridge and only set me back £20 but I don't recall it being able to subnet and act as a DHCP server in client mode so I'm not surprised you're having issues finding one, but as a bridge it served it's purpose well. However @bremen1874 's suggestion appears that it does allow both an upstream WiFi connection in client mode and by default acts a DHCP server. And it costs about the same too. You'd need a switch to plug into it if you want more than one device on your subnet but you say you have that already so problem solved.

Associate
OP
So after doing a bit of reading, it seems I can use a Raspberry Pi and Pi Hole to bridge WiFi to ethernet and host a DHCP server. Thank you for your replies.

Back
Top Bottom