Radweld and the like, yay or nay?

Soldato
I’d replace the pipe if you intend to keep the vehicle. Whilst I’ve successfully stopped two radiator leaks with Radweld way back in the dawn of time, it does coat the entire cooling system with a thin layer of gunk that might cause other problems in a modern engine.

Soldato
OP
I’d replace the pipe if you intend to keep the vehicle. Whilst I’ve successfully stopped two radiator leaks with Radweld way back in the dawn of time, it does coat the entire cooling system with a thin layer of gunk that might cause other problems in a modern engine.

Thanks.

It is a MK1 Focus, nothing special. Been quoted £160 to repair as garage say they cannot buy individual pipes from Ford, got to buy a complete pipe kit which is why I was tempted to try the Radweld.

Associate
Thanks.

It is a MK1 Focus, nothing special. Been quoted £160 to repair as garage say they cannot buy individual pipes from Ford, got to buy a complete pipe kit which is why I was tempted to try the Radweld.

It's possible the hose from a different vehicle might work instead of buying a complete set, but if they're buying a complete set get them to change all of them in a bit of preventative maintenance as if one has started to leak it's possible that more might go the same way. Presuming they're all originals anyway!

Caporegime
I've only ever (and would only ever) use radweld or similar products in an emergency situation. I've successfully used it to drive back from the middle of France to the UK when a leak appeared in our radiator.

The first thing that happened when we got home was a proper repair.

Associate
Each to their own and whatnot but unless I was stuck by the side of the road there's no way I'd be chancing tape over replacing the hose, but good for OP to have options.

Soldato
It's possible the hose from a different vehicle might work instead of buying a complete set, but if they're buying a complete set get them to change all of them in a bit of preventative maintenance as if one has started to leak it's possible that more might go the same way. Presuming they're all originals anyway!
This is good advise, if you have to purchase a kit while the system is empty replace all the hoses as they will likely have not been replaced previously and may all be on the brink of perishing.

Soldato
Use only in an emergency and as a stop gap until you replace the pipe, radiator etc. I've had bad experiences in the past with cars that unknowingly had radweld in the cooling system.

Caporegime
I've only ever (and would only ever) use radweld or similar products in an emergency situation. I've successfully used it to drive back from the middle of France to the UK when a leak appeared in our radiator.

The first thing that happened when we got home was a proper repair.

This, no chance in hell I'd be leaving that for any extended period of time.

Back
Top Bottom