Crashed my car...

Soldato
OP
Definitely report it to the police and your insurers. There is a possibility that the Golf's insurance company might try claiming from your insurance as the last car in the chain if they can't pin it on the Mondeo for any reason. So you definitely want to be informing them.

My insurers have said that I should withhold my details from the Golf. The Emergency braked. A Mondeo crashed into him, that's incident B, then I crashed into a Mondeo, incident B.
The mondeo hitting the golf was not because of me.
I am struggling to get the footage off the Dashcam, it's an Anker ROAV C1.
I have saved it, but as far as sharing the file, it only gives me the option of Facebook or YouTube.
Can I not just export the file?

Soldato
My insurers have said that I should withhold my details from the Golf. The Emergency braked. A Mondeo crashed into him, that's incident B, then I crashed into a Mondeo, incident B.
The mondeo hitting the golf was not because of me.
I am struggling to get the footage off the Dashcam, it's an Anker ROAV C1.
I have saved it, but as far as sharing the file, it only gives me the option of Facebook or YouTube.
Can I not just export the file?

Upload it to Youtube

1. You can then link us to it
2. You can use a downloader to retreive the footage

OR

Plug it into your PC via USB and transfer the file, which is probably what your manual for the camera says ;)

Soldato
The Golf has to claim off the insurance of the Mondeo - Incident A.

The Mondeo has to claim of insurance of the OP - Incident B.

As the Mondeo drove off, OP in the clear for now. Golf owner is buggered though.

Associate
Clearly 2 incidents. You going into the Mondeo did not result in the Mondeo hitting the Golf.

The golf owner will be able to have his insurance look up the Mondeo driver's insurance details. Nothing to do with you, though. You've done the right thing in telling your insurance what happened - it's up to the Mondeo driver now to claim from your insurer (assuming he/she has insurance!)

Caporegime
My advice is don't share the video else you will have 100 pages telling you what you did wrong.

We all know, including the op, what he did wrong - he was driving too close to the vehicle in front of him to give himself adequate time to stop. He even admits himself another few metres and he wouldnt have hit the car.

Soldato
OP
We all know, including the op, what he did wrong - he was driving too close to the vehicle in front of him to give himself adequate time to stop. He even admits himself another few metres and he wouldnt have hit the car.

If a car pulls in front of you, a little closer than you'd like but certainly not cut up, would you just ease off and let the gap restablish?

That's what I did wrong, I should've braked, given myself more room... but it's a section of road I know well, and I've never known it come to a stop, until the roadabout further up the road.

Ah well.

Soldato
If a car pulls in front of you, a little closer than you'd like but certainly not cut up, would you just ease off and let the gap restablish?

That's what I did wrong, I should've braked, given myself more room... but it's a section of road I know well, and I've never known it come to a stop, until the roadabout further up the road.

Ah well.

That's why it's an accident, and not a ram! We're all a few seconds, or a few decisions, away from something going wrong. You weren't hurt, that's the main thing, now let the insurance take the hassle.

Man of Honour
That's why it's an accident, and not a ram! We're all a few seconds, or a few decisions, away from something going wrong. You weren't hurt, that's the main thing, now let the insurance take the hassle.
As I was once told while training with the fire service, it's never an accident there's always fault somewhere.

Which is why they aren't referred to as RTAs anymore.

Soldato
As I was once told while training with the fire service, it's never an accident there's always fault somewhere.

Which is why they aren't referred to as RTAs anymore.
I know what you're saying, I think we're even saying the same thing but I didn't get my point across well.

I just meant that it wasn't intentional, we're all capable of making a simple mistake.

Associate
It would also depend on how long you were behind the mondeo before the cars stopped, if it had filled a small gap and it then all stopped quite suddenly, you could argue it was unavoidable, else yes if a car pulls in front of you, no matter how close you must make reasonable efforts to re-establish a safe distance (reasonable meaning back off safely and not jam on the anchors LOL)

getting the dashcam footage off and even shared wiht the insurance company will help speed up any claims though.

Caporegime
I know what you're saying, I think we're even saying the same thing but I didn't get my point across well.

I just meant that it wasn't intentional, we're all capable of making a simple mistake.

Totally agree and I have come very close on more than one occasion. Like you say, it can only be a matter of a second or two.

Soldato
OP
The insurance company have been on the phone to my Mrs. Pushing for her to go to the Dr's and get checked over.
She has had discomfort in her jaw and down into her neck and shoulder since. I'm of the mindset she should get checked and bang a claim in. She feels like a fraud and doesn't want to. What say you guys?

Also, it's a modified car, all declared ofc. No I wasn't chasing the Golf, it was only a gti.
How does that work with the insurance?
If they write the car off, and I was to get fair market value for the car. I can get another mk2 tts on 80k for around £9k. But to buy one that is 380bhp or to tune the next one to that level will be substantially more.

Any experiences with modified car insurance?

Soldato
If she has been injured then of course she should get checked out.

Whether you/she should put a claim in afterwards is a separate decision - if she's in a lot of pain/discomfort or has to take time off work to recover then why shouldn't she put in a claim? Nothing wrong with doing so in genuine circumstances, it's the scumbags who deliberately set up accidents or claim when they haven't actually suffered any injury/loss who are the problem.

Man of Honour
The insurance company have been on the phone to my Mrs. Pushing for her to go to the Dr's and get checked over.
She has had discomfort in her jaw and down into her neck and shoulder since. I'm of the mindset she should get checked and bang a claim in. She feels like a fraud and doesn't want to. What say you guys?

Also, it's a modified car, all declared ofc. No I wasn't chasing the Golf, it was only a gti.
How does that work with the insurance?
If they write the car off, and I was to get fair market value for the car. I can get another mk2 tts on 80k for around £9k. But to buy one that is 380bhp or to tune the next one to that level will be substantially more.

Any experiences with modified car insurance?
I have a (very lightly - wheels, suspension, etc) modified car, also declared. But I have an agreed valuation on mine because it's on a classic policy. I would guess (and it is a guess) that a standard policy with mods declared would still only cover you for market value of a similar standard car, unless you have agreed a valuation for the entire car or the modifications added. In my case the agreed valuatoin was additional cover and a small additional cost. I think it comes down to whether you've simply declared the mods so that your insurance isn't void, or whether you have specifically insured the modifications.

I would also be inclined to put a claim in for injury if she is genuinely injured.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Yeh my neck and back hurt too, you did mention to them I was sitting in the back seat, didn't you?

Back
Top Bottom