First time car lease - anything I should look out for?

Man of Honour
Given that you can pick up plenty of 1.5 Kamiq DSG with >5000 miles on for £22k, paying £10k for one over 2 years seems a bit mad to be honest
He's not proposing to get a Kamiq though. The cheapest Kodiaq Sportline on Autotrader in the whole of the UK is £28.5k, and that's an 18 plate with 48.5k miles.

Soldato
£10k seems poor value to me but my only lease experience was a 17 plate Golf R which was about 6.7k all in (I paid slightly more for lapiz blue paint) over 2 years, 16k miles.
That was 4 years ago, the lease prices on those Golf R’s were special rates and the car market has changed a lot in terms of prices and availability since then.

The best way to lease is to find the best lease deal and not be fussy about the car. It's not often very cost effective when trying to get a very particular car.
^ OP: This is the cheapest way to lease a car. If you’re chasing a specific car you will probably pay more as it’s likely not going to be on a special deal.

Soldato
Given that you can pick up plenty of 1.5 Kamiq DSG with >5000 miles on for £22k, paying £10k for one over 2 years seems a bit mad to be honest.

There's not much in it between the 1.0 DSG which often comes up for a bargain price and the 1.5 DSG. I've driven both (albeit in Octavia format) and I wouldn't miss the 35PS power difference.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/search?q=Kamiq
https://www.hotukdeals.com/search?q=DSG

I've had a very quick look and can find a 1.5 DSG Kamiq on 4 years with 10k/annum for a total of £14000 as an example so I do think you can definitely do better
Close - just the wrong car :p

Having had a look around I heavily leaning towards the Skoda Kodiaq Sportline with the 1.5L petrol engine and DSG gearbox

Soldato
If you are going down the lease route, not considered an EV?

I against EVs at the moment ONLY because they work out a lot more expensive then a used petrol car, but if you are going down the lease route on a new car anyway.....

I wouldn't lease, but if I was going to I'd get an EV.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
OP: This is the cheapest way to lease a car. If you’re chasing a specific car you will probably pay more as it’s likely not going to be on a special deal.
This. Is there a reason in particular you want a Kodiaq OP?

Soldato
OP
This. Is there a reason in particular you want a Kodiaq OP?

I like the size as even with the cavernous boot in the Octavia we struggle to get everything in for family holidays etc - plus having the option of the 7-seats appeals to me for ferrying an increasing volume of kids and their friends around!

Added to which I've had nothing but good experience having had 2 Octavia's now and so the Kodiaq seemed to be the best of the "larger" SUV's out there!

@BUDFORCE I see your point regards going electric, especially as I have access to a scheme through work that's somehow is done via salary sacrifice, but I'm not entirely convinced with fully electric just yet and the hybrid ones are more expensive still!

Soldato
I like the size as even with the cavernous boot in the Octavia we struggle to get everything in for family holidays etc - plus having the option of the 7-seats appeals to me for ferrying an increasing volume of kids and their friends around!

Added to which I've had nothing but good experience having had 2 Octavia's now and so the Kodiaq seemed to be the best of the "larger" SUV's out there!

@BUDFORCE I see your point regards going electric, especially as I have access to a scheme through work that's somehow is done via salary sacrifice, but I'm not entirely convinced with fully electric just yet and the hybrid ones are more expensive still!

You should at least go and look at the MG MG5 Estate (LR version) BEV, amazing value for money and you may find that it suits your needs in terms of space, and cost, not to mention features. You could even look at taking it on a PCP rather than a PCH since there may end up being some residual equity left in it on your behalf after 3 years. If you do want PCH then you an get one over 48 months with zero upfront for only £260 per month, or £12.5k in total over the 4 years! 3 years is £10.6k and 2 years is £8.2k. Buying out right is ~£23k, so whatever the MG PCP deals are right now, probably slightly more but you are paying something off towards the vehicle at the end.

Hard to beat for £3.2k per year on a PCH (4 year deal), but I think PCP may offer some value also. Oh, and there is stock onhand for delivery within a couple of weeks. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom