Live Edge Desk

Soldato
Anyone know if a 38mm thick beech kitchen worktop would sag at 2m long? Using a set of pedestal drawers at each end.

@Participant and a few others have posted the 'IKEA' desk set up similar to that. He may be able to confirm if he's had additional support / sag issues.

EDIT
Was there a 'spec me a desk' topic where pretty much that's all folk posted for a while?

Don
Anyone know if a 38mm thick beech kitchen worktop would sag at 2m long? Using a set of pedestal drawers at each end.

With the pedestal drawers you should be okay unless you are storing heavy items (screens, tower PC) on top of it. Mine is ~ 2m long with pedestal and I've got *very* slight sag after 2 years or so (nothing heavy stored on top)

Soldato
With the pedestal drawers you should be okay unless you are storing heavy items (screens, tower PC) on top of it. Mine is ~ 2m long with pedestal and I've got *very* slight sag after 2 years or so (nothing heavy stored on top)

Thanks for that. Really heavy items like my desktop pc I'll keep over the pedestal. Only really laptop, keyboard, mouse and monitor in the middle. I guess could always flip the worktop over every year :p

Associate
OP
Looks like you could park a truck on that frame.

For reference, I laminated two 18mm sheets of ply together, which spans 2000mm , with independent corner legs and is solid. I have two monitors clamped to the centre and can stand on the desk.

Check https://woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator/
Thanks for that. I was less concerned with sagging but more thinking lateral movement where the legs attach

Back
Top Bottom