Getting something 3D printed - Needs to be strong and complete

Commissario
Hi folks.

I'm after getting something 3D printed, it's to fix a ham radio transceiver control head onto a RAM mount.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to where I can get this printed please? It's a pretty straightforward piece but it needs to be strong and I'd like it to come to me looking as finished and complete as possible. I don't really want to have to do anything other than take it out of the jiffy bag and use it without having to clean, polish, remove rough spots, seams, etc.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4378460

Thanks.

Is this the sort of thing I should be looking at?

From makeitquick.co.uk

ul2azIC.png

Soldato
You could try Shapeways? Printing costs are good and the quality is great (I get parts from them in SLS Nylon and they are almost as good a full production moulded parts) - shipping is a bit on the pricey side though.

Commissario
OP
Soldato
You would be better off fishing on here for someone that can print it, would probably cost about £50 from a print shop, I don't have the set up to do abs ect, but sure someone on here will

Soldato
Nope, the plate isn't drilled correctly for the radio.

I think that ball mount would usually be used with an appropriate mount for your device. You’d probably be better off buying that and making up the correct plate to go onto it out of plastic or a bit of aluminium sheet or similar.

a ball joint using a friction fit like a RAM mount isn’t really an ideal candidate for 3d printing as there could be quite a lot of strain on that narrowest part of you’re moving the radio about etc. It would definitely work it’s just the material that mount will be moulded from will be perfect for the job.

Commissario
OP
I think that ball mount would usually be used with an appropriate mount for your device. You’d probably be better off buying that and making up the correct plate to go onto it out of plastic or a bit of aluminium sheet or similar.

a ball joint using a friction fit like a RAM mount isn’t really an ideal candidate for 3d printing as there could be quite a lot of strain on that narrowest part of you’re moving the radio about etc. It would definitely work it’s just the material that mount will be moulded from will be perfect for the job.
The part I want printed doesn't contain the ball joint - It's a plate that screws onto the existing ball one one side and the radio on the other. The initial picture on the thingiverse site looks as though it's the ball as well but that's misleading.

This is the actual item.

6p7Evv7.png

Soldato
The part I want printed doesn't contain the ball joint - It's a plate that screws onto the existing ball one one side and the radio on the other. The initial picture on the thingiverse site looks as though it's the ball as well but that's misleading.

This is the actual item.

6p7Evv7.png

Sorry, didn’t look at the original link!

I could make you one of them in the next couple of days if you like. I should have some decent PETG left but definitely got black PLA.

PETG would probably be fine on a dashboard or similar but PLA would warp on a hot day.

The materials on your screenshot in the OP would be suitable too. I’ve not had anything printed for me before so not sure what level of finish you’ll be looking at but the print’s not complex and wouldn’t really need finishing as such. Removal of supports if used but I’d probably be tempted to print that unsupported to be honest. If they’re there they’ll pull out easily anyway.

Last edited:
Commissario
OP
I could make you one of them in the next couple of days if you like. I should have some decent PETG left but definitely got black PLA.
I saw your post before the edit - Thanks, I have Trusted you.

PETG would probably be fine on a dashboard or similar but PLA would warp on a hot day.
It does get warm in the car and it'll be under the windscreen and will get the full heat of the sun so it looks like PETG would be the way to go.

Soldato
wouldn't resin be a better option? it not being a thermoplastic and all?

Drop me a message on trust and I'll print it and post it over.

Back
Top Bottom