Tumble dryer - Heat Pump

Associate
Hello All,

Buying my first tumble dryer.

Going to live in my garage, without near by drain and keen to not have to drill holes in wall I'm looking at heaypump model with waste water container.

Any issues with heat pump based model working in colder environment ie not lot of heat in the air.

Welcome thoughts.

Soldato
Hello All,

Buying my first tumble dryer.

Going to live in my garage, without near by drain and keen to not have to drill holes in wall I'm looking at heaypump model with waste water container.

Any issues with heat pump based model working in colder environment ie not lot of heat in the air.

Welcome thoughts.

Mine works fine in a detached garage.

Associate
We got a fairly expensive but not top of the range Miele heat pump tumble dryer about 2 years ago from John Lewis. It was mentioned that it would go into a fairly cold unheated room in the the back of the house. They said along as its over 10c it'll be O.K. Any colder and you'll start losing efficency ie your running costs will go up.

Soldato
Most heat pump dryers don't like being very cold, check the operating temperature rating. Mine is 5-35c so using it on the coldest days could be a bit iffy, I'd also expect it to use a lot more energy when at 5C compared to a nice 18C inside.

Associate
I think condenser and heat pump do not like being below 5C. I’m not sure the impact on efficiency, but I remember reading that they can be damaged if water freezes. A lot of websites list the minimum as 10C, but the manufacturer manuals usually state 5C.

I have a condenser in my garage (2 walls are insulated and 1 adjacent to second garage) and usually find the the garage stays about 5C above the outside temperature and hasn’t gone below 5 even when below freezing outside for long periods.

Back
Top Bottom