Road rage

Soldato
OP
OP how slow were you driving?

I think people forget that respect has to be made to the drivers behind you as well.

If you are driving 20mph with traffic behind it can be interpreted as disrespect to those road users.

This is why drivers get annoyed with cyclists who ride on the middle of the lane... to a cyclist they're "allowed to by law" but to a driver behind it's disrespect - they are holding them up with no care.

Personally I understand that a lot of people have medical/biological reasons for driving slow - but I can still feel the aggression coming when stuck behind a slow driver - I just force subside it.

This woman had no control... just imagine the rage running through her body. She was already in that state biologically, and you just happened to tick her off.

That's assuming this story is real of course, almost reads as fake.

I was under the speed limit, going up a VERY busy road, at school drop off time. Lots of traffic and people about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
My main bug bear are tailgaters on the motorway, I do a fair few miles a year and drive at what I think is a sensible speed, with no hanging around or lane hogging, but it gets right on my nerve when I'm overtaking in the outer lane, making good progress past the cars to my left when a Wally doing 90+mph comes flying up behind flashing their lights......sorry, but I'm not speeding up to ridiculous levels and putting my license at risk nor being bullied out of the way. I'll move over once I've done my overtake safely, at reasonable speed and the lane to my left is clear.

Soldato
My main bug bear are tailgaters on the motorway, I do a fair few miles a year and drive at what I think is a sensible speed, with no hanging around or lane hogging, but it gets right on my nerve when I'm overtaking in the outer lane, making good progress past the cars to my left when a Wally doing 90+mph comes flying up behind flashing their lights......sorry, but I'm not speeding up to ridiculous levels and putting my license at risk nor being bullied out of the way. I'll move over once I've done my overtake safely, at reasonable speed and the lane to my left is clear.

Couldn’t agree more - my commute is pretty much entirely motorway. I cruise at the limits (GPS indicated) if I can and I HATE being forced to use the fast lane to overtake middle-lane hogs for this reason. So many people don’t bother obeying the speed restrictions either despite the fact your can see heavy congestion or queues ahead.

Soldato
It feels worse today than it ever has, anger seems to be everywhere in all walks of life and that is sad.

Yeap, anger and a marked increase in the amount of drivers with a "selfish" attitude who are only concerned about "me, me, ME!!!!!" and who have such a lack of adult control that anything which they believe is a personal attack (or disrespect), such as driving legally, must be answered back as forcefully as possible.

Having been away from the UK for a while it does seem (IMHO) to be becoming more widespread and than I remember with female drivers now becoming far more "aggressive" than previously seen.

Soldato
I once undertook a guy who was in the fast lane pottering along. He took umbrage to me wanting to go faster than the 50 or so he was doing whilst probably on his phone and then raced up beside me and tried to swing his car into mine. The guy was clearly mental and seething with rage. I don't understand why because he was going slow yet decided to perk up after being undertaken so clearly he knows he could drive faster if he doesn't want to be undertaken.

The dash cam helped convict him. So do you think he would have been convicted without said dash cam? The guy literally gestured to side swipe me by moving his car left then right towards my passenger side. Luckily my dash cam has a wide angle lens and is 4K.
Did the footage from the dashcam not implicate you for undertaking? I've done similar, undertaking a slow moving car (~45 on a 70 dual carriageway), and been pulled over by an unmarked car and got away with a warning.

Caporegime
Did the footage from the dashcam not implicate you for undertaking? I've done similar, undertaking a slow moving car (~45 on a 70 dual carriageway), and been pulled over by an unmarked car and got away with a warning.

No he is in the wrong he shouldn't be in the right lane unless he is overtaking. He was pottering along. The previous 2 minutes showed he was driving slowly and nobody was in the left lane. Dash cam has a Speedo so there was no reason for him to be in that lane.

The fact he then sped up after being undertaken and then started beeping his horn and gesturing his car left to right to side swipe me shows he was a lunatic and I did the right thing by then remaining calm and slowing down.

Had he miscalculated his side swipe threatening manoeuvre it could have ended up with serious permanent consequences. In this scenario he was completely in the wrong.

The police aren't going to do you for undertaking unless you are diving in and out of traffic trying to imitate a F1 driver trying to gain pole position. Common sense is used.

It's why I'm baffled when people see a police car and grind to a halt in the fast lane. You are allowed to overtake even if that means going over the speed limit a tad and then falling into line. Folk who slow down and then end up going slower than traffic to their left are in the wrong. In this case there was no traffic.

Soldato
Police are useless. I was assaulted in a Tesco petrol station in broad daylight with CCTV everywhere and several witnesses.

Bust my lip open so there was blood.

Should have been charged with ABH.

What did the Police do, give the guy a warning lol. Thanks a bunch.

Soldato
No he is in the wrong he shouldn't be in the right lane unless he is overtaking. He was pottering along. The previous 2 minutes showed he was driving slowly and nobody was in the left lane. Dash cam has a Speedo so there was no reason for him to be in that lane.

The fact he then sped up after being undertaken and then started beeping his horn and gesturing his car left to right to side swipe me shows he was a lunatic and I did the right thing by then remaining calm and slowing down.

Had he miscalculated his side swipe threatening manoeuvre it could have ended up with serious permanent consequences. In this scenario he was completely in the wrong.

The police aren't going to do you for undertaking unless you are diving in and out of traffic trying to imitate a F1 driver trying to gain pole position. Common sense is used.

It's why I'm baffled when people see a police car and grind to a halt in the fast lane. You are allowed to overtake even if that means going over the speed limit a tad and then falling into line. Folk who slow down and then end up going slower than traffic to their left are in the wrong. In this case there was no traffic.
You're not allowed to break the speed limit.

Your post makes you sound like part of the problem to be honest.

That was exactly my take away

I hate it when people immediately blame a slow driver as being the issue.
I mean the highway code is so clear on this, the speed limit is the maximum, I have had people more than once say its a target, yet they have been unable to find target anywhere in the highway code.
As long as you are making reasonable progress, then there is no minimum speed on most roads.

I used to have a daft bint of a neighbour who would do this, she happened to regularly end up behind me as we got close to home, I assume just a leaving work time type thing when I turned off the main road onto a back street, it was a parked both sides with just enough room to get two cars going opposite directions, anything larger than a normal car required everyone to slow right down and squeeze through. I was of course residential and on a hill, and at the bottom was a school. And yet she would come screaming up behind me when I was doing between 20-30 down that road.

I agree with the windscreen washing and slowly slowing down approach. I use both tactics.

The problem for most people is they are morons who cannot plan, they end up late, assuming they will drive at a constant speed, and no hazards will hold them up. When something happens they are already stressing on being late and someone, god forbid, who judges a road to require less than [actual speed limit + 0-20 mph] to be safe they cannot handle it.

Speeding is probably the most common crime in the UK, and many do not see it as an actual crime. That mind set has to change before we have any hope.

Soldato
This is why drivers get annoyed with cyclists who ride on the middle of the lane... to a cyclist they're "allowed to by law" but to a driver behind it's disrespect - they are holding them up with no care.

The cyclist is telling you to respect their safety and overtake on the other side of the road. You trying to push through in lane is not only disrespectful, but a danger to that vulnerable road user.

Man of Honour
The cyclist is telling you to respect their safety and overtake on the other side of the road. You trying to push through in lane is not only disrespectful, but a danger to that vulnerable road user.
Respect goes both ways and is earned. I rode a bike for years, on my own and with groups. I would never seek to endanger any cyclist and I try never to pass unless I have plenty of space.

However, the further out they ride the more time I need to pass, my exposure time, and they are neither a car or lorry so they should take less time to pass safely. Making themselves the width of a car by riding to the right is disrespectful to, they do not need that space if they believe car drivers are as respectful as them. Riding further out I would argue increases risk and anger, as anger often creates risk.

Idiots will always be idiots, 2 wheeled or more. Sadly putting wrong and right to one side the onus is on the cyclist to be more defensive as they are the most exposed. No point being right and dead. I live on a narrow lane used by many cyclists. I come across more and more who ride at me and I am pootling and minding my own business but they are just angry that I am there.

To my point earlier in this thread, anger is the problem, people are so black and white in their view of the world.

“You MUST because” is their starting point or “I have to do this because you are ALL like this”

It wasn’t always that way…

Soldato

Our new car has drive assist, and one of the things it does it calculates braking distance based on the speed your going, and if the car in front is in the gap you get a few warnings pop up about braking distance. It's certainly made me more wary about leaving a correct gap, the problem is this entices dick heads to jump into those gaps. If i also see someone right at my rear bumper then i make the gap in front bigger - if the cars in front need to start braking sharpish the guy behind will have no chance to react in time, so bigger gap allows for his/her incompetence.

Soldato
I usually just let the idiots go past now, life's too short to get upset. It's always funny when they race off though and then you meet them again at the next set of lights.
What's the rush.

Yes, if possible I pull over to let them pass.

As a counter I am encountering a lot of people driving well under the speed limit at the moment, e.g. showing 26/7 on my speedo in a 30, 40 in a 60, 50 on a motorway with no significant traffic, etc.

Back
Top Bottom