• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Associate
I was so early when the alert showed up and already at PC I had time to go through checkout multiple times, but all failed, no error reason. Even had time to relogin and re-add the card to my basket every single time!
Last time it just said item is now out of stock so removed from your basket.
I completed bank verification and already used the same card on the retailer a few weeks ago for a purchase.

Think I give up.

I wanted to do it on a PC too, but I had all the info saved on my phone and did it using that. Surprisingly easy, website was slow at times but every step eventually went through. Maybe the mobile site isn't as battered as the desktop site, certainly less bandwidth needed to open pages.

Associate
I have noticed since watercooling my 3080fe that it has some mild coil whine at stock volts when high frames rate occur in menus etc . But if I undervolt I hear nothing at all. And I lose only 25mhz of boost.
Id be happy with that!

Mine whines regardless of FPS. Seems as soon as the card hits any load, it whines.

Undervolt has helped, made it slightly quieter. But not eliminated it.

Soldato
How many people have RMA'ed an FE card for coil-whine?

Did you get a card without whine back?

Some days my cards whine really bugs me... but I cant bring myself to RMA given the high likely hood the replacement just whines too :/ (Had 2x FE cards and both whined badly...)

I had 3080Fe that had really bad coil whine even undervolting didnt do much, I knew replacement couldnt be worse . the replacement also has it but it isnt as bad and it mostly gets drowned out when the fans kick in dont like how its lottery for each card when you are paying this much

Soldato
I've been having problems with system stability since replacing my 3070 with my 3080ti FE. Just random crashes to desktop in game, random crashes of the video subsystem in browsers - not often, but enough to notice and worry about the card - also couldn't run games on Ultra Settings, they'd crash out immediately.

I'd run DDU and did fresh driver installs with no joy. Finally bit the bullet last night and did a fresh install of windows onto a spare SSD and everything is running brilliantly - can play Valhalla on Ultra, card is running 5C cooler and (fingers crossed) no crashes so far. Not sure what the problem was but a good clear out is often the solution.

:)

Associate
I had 3080Fe that had really bad coil whine even undervolting didnt do much, I knew replacement couldnt be worse . the replacement also has it but it isnt as bad and it mostly gets drowned out when the fans kick in dont like how its lottery for each card when you are paying this much
This exactly!
I hate that its just a luck of the draw. You cant go and buy say an ASUS Strix or a Suprim X and be SURE it wont have whine... from what I can tell... its just random.

I dont understand why. Surely all cards have the same parts on them... why is it that some of them whine? And more to the point... why isnt that picked up in QC.
When your paying this much for a GPU... Its not acceptable imo. Whats the point of making a quiet cooler, if the card is just going to make an irritating whine.

Soldato
This exactly!
I hate that its just a luck of the draw. You cant go and buy say an ASUS Strix or a Suprim X and be SURE it wont have whine... from what I can tell... its just random.

I dont understand why. Surely all cards have the same parts on them... why is it that some of them whine? And more to the point... why isnt that picked up in QC.
When your paying this much for a GPU... Its not acceptable imo. Whats the point of making a quiet cooler, if the card is just going to make an irritating whine.
Companies aren't going to scrap or remanufacture an entire card because it has coil whine. It'd be way too expensive. It's seen as one of those defects that's "acceptable" and within manufacturing tolerance, the same as a certain number of dead pixels or uneven luminance are in the monitor space. It sucks, but it's not going to change unless there's some breakthrough in manufacturing that reliably suppresses it.

Soldato
Its been £1260 for a week or more now, their sell price seems to have gone up £100 though..

I'm almost tempted to sell mine to them, or somewhere else, and try and get a 3090FE...

Soldato
But I bought the card to play games with, not to make money with. So unless I was desperate for cash then I have no intentions of selling it to them
Agreed. I get people see profit and will sell to double their money.

All peoples situations and views on life are different.

I'm not rich, by my definition. But a £600 gain means nothing to me. It the grand scheme of things...

I'd rather have the card :)

cmAdA7R.jpeg

Last edited:
Associate
Companies aren't going to scrap or remanufacture an entire card because it has coil whine. It'd be way too expensive. It's seen as one of those defects that's "acceptable" and within manufacturing tolerance, the same as a certain number of dead pixels or uneven luminance are in the monitor space. It sucks, but it's not going to change unless there's some breakthrough in manufacturing that reliably suppresses it.
It strange how it has become accepted...
Clearly as some cards have it and some don't, it can be avoided. Its the randomness of it thats more annoying.
If it was "this cheaper card will whine" while this more expensive one does not, people could make a choice. Spend more to avoid it if it bothers them, save a buck if it does not.
Sadly that isnt the way....

Back
Top Bottom