Is battery nackered?

Soldato
Had trouble starting, car volt meter showed 9.8v this morning so cranked it and it did slowly start but got issue with head unit resetting itself and my headlights turning off and on.

Put battery on charge, it charges up real quick but if sat for 20mins or so after the charge its resting voltage is 10.5v
That means its time for new battery yeh? 10.5v means one cell is drooped?

Soldato
What do you mean by charges up real quick? After charging you will get floating voltage. I would try charging for at least 6 hours before condemning it. After charging, turn on the headlights for 20 seconds then back off, then check the voltage. If it's still no good after then then it's battery time.

Soldato
If the charger appears to indicate that the battery reaches a fully charged state for more quickly than you would expect for the starting level and it doesn't reach 12.8v then that is a pretty good indication that a cell has gone.

Soldato
OP
Its a smart charger it charges up to 14.4v then drops to float 13.3ish.
Once i take it off the charger and let it sit it drops to a rest voltage of 10.5v
Will try putting it on trickle charge mode overnight

Man of Honour
Come to think of it i don't think I've ever had a battery fail in summer. Always winter lol.

It is what the service manager said to me after my battery failed "some tests" (rather vague) at the service and MOT it was in for - it would be fine over the summer but next lot of cold weather would kill it according to him - he was mostly right as once winter came it was struggling though still starting the engine.

I think they were hoping to sell me a new battery at the time though.

Soldato
It is what the service manager said to me after my battery failed "some tests" (rather vague) at the service and MOT it was in for - it would be fine over the summer but next lot of cold weather would kill it according to him - he was mostly right as once winter came it was struggling though still starting the engine.

I think they were hoping to sell me a new battery at the time though.
Tbf sounds like you needed a new battery :cry:

Man of Honour
Tbf sounds like you needed a new battery :cry:

It still works now like 2 years on - my dad is using it to power lighting in one of his sheds - last time I talked to him was still holding a charge at 12.6V. It just struggles a bit with high current draw.

I was planning on changing it anyhow as I had no idea on the history of it and doing a lot of driving at night I don't like surprises.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I think it may have resurrected it self. Float charger holding it at 13.3v this morning (battery in car and charger connected). Unlocking and relocking doors didnt tank the voltage was going down to 12.7 then back to float 13.3v.
Will crank it up later and see how it is.

Underboss
you must have put it on a charger that does "maintenance mode" i.e. trickle charge

i know mine does , and it helps to build the cells so to speak

Battery conditioners restore the capacity of lead acid batteries by targeting lead-sulphur deposits which reduce the battery’s ability to hold charge. These deposits build when a car is repeatedly driven on shorter trips or is left unused.

Soldato
I've started to trickle charge my car every few days since it started to go below 10c.

Did it last night for 13 hours.
Came back to a nicely charged battery.

Back
Top Bottom