How to squeeze small bathroom upstairs

Associate
I'm lucky enough to have the option of selling my current house and moving into Grandmas bungalow, would be totally mortgage free.
But would like a tiny shower/toilet upstairs. Has anyone done similar or have any ideas how to best use the space?
it's a bungalow with the attic converted into 2 bedrooms, keeping both bedrooms is a must.
Ideal result would be to have the bathroom between both bedrooms in the spot marked with the X, but it may have to go in the bigger room against the external wall due to space / lack of headroom.
Ceiling in the hall is 2.26m, but it slopes off very steeply.

Looking from the smaller bedroom
2.jpg

Soil stack is marked by the circle
1.jpg

Looking from the smaller bedroom doorway, the X would just be on the other side of the painting.
vlcsnap-2021-11-02-15h34m30s778.png

Every wall is a stud up there, shouldn't be too hard to change the layout. But don't have much space to work with.
I did have a home development company take some measurements and are looking into it, another plumber said it wouldn't work. He has a point, it wouldn't work as the main bathroom, but we have one downstairs already. This just needs to be a small shower/toilet room. I don't think the scale of this job is what he was after.

Can either move everything in the above photo to the right to make space. But need to leave a gap to get a mattress/furniture down, modify doors etc.
Or make the main bedroom an en suite
Or modify the roof to be a mirror of the above right hand side, with a dormer window to give more headroom.

I have the homebuyers survey from 1985 which said it needed a bathroom upstairs, with it being a 4 bed. Maybe there's a reason it hasn't been done, anyone got ideas?

Soldato
Max sure you leave enough room for the average human to turn around in. While I’m not thin, I’m average width and have experienced several of these minimalist toilets where I’ve had less room to manoeuvre than in an economy class aircraft toilet.

Soldato
I'm sure it can be done, you should see some of the tiny bathrooms you get on boats which are still perfectly useable.

I'd probably put a door in the middle opening into the hallway (or sliding) and have the shower one side and toilet the other, that way you don't need to get past the toilet to get to the shower. Sink slightly off to the right near toilet. You'd have to judge if you have enough height for it though.

Soldato
Looks fine to me , probably try and make the 980 a bit deeper and get a pocket door. Move the larger bedroom door over as far possible.
We recently had an ensuite done which is a similar shape. It's turned out really well. My advice is pay a lot for the shower, shower door and tray.

Soldato
judging by cabinet, dormer view is not very covetted, so maybe use the Dormer space for the shower , and light tubes, or ££ roof window to replace some light, if needed,
when opening up the non-dormer side as a partial corridor side-extension
(or, could top of interior shower wall be transluscent ? )

Soldato
Looks fine to me , probably try and make the 980 a bit deeper and get a pocket door. Move the larger bedroom door over as far possible.
We recently had an ensuite done which is a similar shape. It's turned out really well. My advice is pay a lot for the shower, shower door and tray.

This is a good idea, by moving the door over, you could actually make a wider alcove for a shower.

You'll need to put the door in the middle of the room as it won't be wide enough to have to walk past the toilet to get to the shower - you'll get fed up of squeezing past.

Soldato
My parents converted their loft with no dormers and had a small bathroom upstairs, had an 80x80 shower in the full height bit with a toilet under a velux so you could stand up over it as you gained that extra 10 to 15 cm without the plaster/rafter in the way, then small sink. Then the door opened outwards at 45deg.

Soldato
Personally I’d take a small mortgage and alter the roofline to include the biggest dormer possible and make he upstairs a much nicer space and get a decent sized bathroom in. You won’t regret it in the long term and current mortgage rates would make it very affordable and quick to repay.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the comments! Glad to hear it's possible. Great idea to have the (probably) sliding door in the middle. The more I think about it, altering the roofline would be the best way to go. Not sure how building regs/planning permission will go but I'll ask the company who are working on this. Looking to get moved in ASAP - so even if this place doesn't sell quickly i've got £10k of savings to use. Then after the sale I should have 60k to look at renovating the kitchen/bathroom downstairs/insulating/heating system/decorating/carpets and hopefully have enough left for an electric car.

Soldato
You need to put a dormer on the roof or don’t bother really.

I think your budget is possibly a bit unrealistic im afraid dude - 60k won’t stretch to everything on your list unless you go full B&Q mode and nasty carpet

Associate
OP
That's not the budget, just what I'll initially get from selling this house for the essentials :) kitchen and bathroom downstairs and the heating system are dated but entirely functional, décor and carpets are from the 70s but we can chip away at that.
Not sure if I'll be insulating the cavity or taking space out of the rooms for insulation yet. May do another post for advice on that. It's a 70s build.

Soldato
I stayed in one of those shepherd hut Airbnbs recently and that had a tiny bathroom.
I banged my elbows turning round in the shower so I couldn't live with it full time but it did the job for a weekend. Door was in between toilet and shower which is the way to go
Here's a picture.
https://imgur.com/a/9iaKYGj

Back
Top Bottom