Road rage

Man of Honour
Based on the description this is outside or very close to a school so it might be a 20mph zone. Outside one of our schools there is a busy distributor road which has a 20mph section and people invariably speed along along it, at 20mph it feels like you are really crawling along.

Man of Honour
Police won’t do anything unfortunately. There’s a lot of crazies on the road. I barely even get angry anymore, it’s just like, ‘oh, there’s another one’.

Associate
The police need to make it easier to submit dash cam footage.
I was in the process of doing it last week, but the amount of info required makes it a right chore.
A dashcam if it's embedded with all the info, location, time, speed, my registration etc. Then having to fill all this info in again across multiple mandatory fields makes me wonder if the lesser prats don't get reported.
The aggression in recent years is just scary tbh.

Soldato
The police need to make it easier to submit dash cam footage.
I was in the process of doing it last week, but the amount of info required makes it a right chore.
A dashcam if it's embedded with all the info, location, time, speed, my registration etc. Then having to fill all this info in again across multiple mandatory fields makes me wonder if the lesser prats don't get reported.
The aggression in recent years is just scary tbh.

The data entry side is for evidence gathering and part i. you doing their job for them and ii. to make so onerous that you'll give up depending on how much your frothing at the mouth you are. If police action were taken with every bit of dashcam footage the system would be so bogged down no other crimes would be investigated, plus there wouldn't be half the cars on the road :D.

Plus there's something a bit Orwellian about the Gov and dobbing in others, every square metre covered by a camera etc.

However, if I were a big car insurance firm, I'd have automated software scanning youtube dashcam footage looking for registration of cars I insure. A fantastic excuse for raising premiums.

Soldato
I don't understand the bashing of the door bit. Did you gesture at her or something? Seems a bit of an overreaction to somebody not driving fast enough for her liking.

What annoys me about tailgaters in general is they'll happily fume at the car Infront but won't take the initiative to overtake, likely because they're too afraid and haven't got the mental fortitude to figure that option out.

Soldato
OP
I don't understand the bashing of the door bit. Did you gesture at her or something? Seems a bit of an overreaction to somebody not driving fast enough for her liking.

What annoys me about tailgaters in general is they'll happily fume at the car Infront but won't take the initiative to overtake, likely because they're too afraid and haven't got the mental fortitude to figure that option out.

She was just bonkers i guess. I didnt gesture to her except to back off. She couldnt overtake as the traffic was heavy with parents dropping kids off at the school

Associate
Yes, if possible I pull over to let them pass.

As a counter I am encountering a lot of people driving well under the speed limit at the moment, e.g. showing 26/7 on my speedo in a 30, 40 in a 60, 50 on a motorway with no significant traffic, etc.

That could be a function of the age of your car vs the age of theirs. Cars made post-2008 are supposed to have speedos that inflate your speed by 10%, something to do with convincing people to drive more slowly. You can check it by driving past one of those passive aggressive speed signs you see outside villages that tell you your speed. Your speedo will say one thing, the sign will say another.

If, like me, you drive a pre-2008 car (saying nothing about my bikes *cough*), you'll be doing the speed your speedo says you are, but if you're behind someone who's sticking to what their post-2008 speedo is telling them, then yes, they will only be doing 27 or so. If they don't know their speedo is lying to them, they will go slower than they think they are.

Soldato
That could be a function of the age of your car vs the age of theirs. Cars made post-2008 are supposed to have speedos that inflate your speed by 10%, something to do with convincing people to drive more slowly. You can check it by driving past one of those passive aggressive speed signs you see outside villages that tell you your speed. Your speedo will say one thing, the sign will say another.

If, like me, you drive a pre-2008 car (saying nothing about my bikes *cough*), you'll be doing the speed your speedo says you are, but if you're behind someone who's sticking to what their post-2008 speedo is telling them, then yes, they will only be doing 27 or so. If they don't know their speedo is lying to them, they will go slower than they think they are.
Where does that leave my 2016 car that an indicated 70mph is 68-69mph.

Man of Honour

As long as I'm on the right size tyres the speedo on any of the post 2008 vehicles I drive is pretty much correct within 1 MPH - 2 of the villages I drive through regularly have electronic speed check signs for 30 and 40 and I have a GPS HUD (don't really use it much but did compare against it).

Weird someone obviously forgot to tell my recent car manufacturers they are supposed to overread by 10% as they seem to get more and more accurate based on those speed signs

My suspicions is some moron has read that speeds are allowed to over read by upto 10% and must not under read, put their 2 brain cells to use and come up with a "theory" on they are forced to overread by 10%

Soldato
If you were in an accident, how strong a proof is the reading on a dashcam GPS? My GPS dashcam says roughly 10% under what my speedo says, but those road signs that tell you your speed is more or less what the speedo is.

Soldato
If you were in an accident, how strong a proof is the reading on a dashcam GPS? My GPS dashcam says roughly 10% under what my speedo says, but those road signs that tell you your speed is more or less what the speedo is.
None at all unless clearly distinguishable from the posted limit.

Man of Honour

Did you hear that from Nasher?
My 2016 car is 3mph over compared to those signs at all speeds, my 2005 bike was exactly 10% over compared to GPS at all speeds, my 1998 bike was a mile or 2 over, my 2015 bike is pretty much bang on and my 2007 car was again approx 3mph under at all speeds.

Back
Top Bottom