Is a RM850X Ok for this 3090 Build? Please offer your advice

Associate
I have all the parts ready for my build.
Corsair 4000x Case.
H100i Aio Cooler.
Samsung Pro NVE 1tb
Rog Strix E Wifi 2 Motherboard.
5900x
Corsair RM850X

Now I was only planning on getting a 3080 or a 3080TI, however I have just grabbed a MSI 3090 Suprim X. Will my PSU be good enough for this system and card or will I need to send the 850W CPU back (before I open it) and get the RM1000X? I'm hoping it will be ok as will have the hassle of sending back, paying for another PSU and delaying the build. However what to make sure I don't have any power issues.

Please let me know asap so I can grab another PSU if needed!? Thanks so much in advance.

Associate
OP
Yep, it will power that rig no problem at stock speed. Overclocking = 1000w

I believe it comes factory Overclocked.
Do you mean if I tried to overclock it further or overclock the CPU I would need higher?

It has took me so long to get to the point of ordering parts. Then a last min snap decision to go with the 3090 Suprim as apposed to the 3080TI in a f#$k it moment at half 3 in the morning. Now scrambling wondering if I have enough juice for it.

From looking, the Corsair is decent and is Gold Rated, do hopefully won't trip of the card has any power spikes.

Is the 1000W CPU's mainly for people that want to Overclock and/or run more than one GPU?
Thanks so far.

Soldato
I believe it comes factory Overclocked.
Do you mean if I tried to overclock it further or overclock the CPU I would need higher?

Is the 1000W CPU's mainly for people that want to Overclock and/or run more than one GPU?
Thanks so far.

My gut feeling is yes. Other's here may disagree. A site banned on here says power consumption for the planned rig is 650w at stock. 3090 is a 2K GPU, you need to give it the power it needs for it to function the way you want it with a hundred odd quid PSU, it may be worth spending a bit more for peace of mind as PSU's will degrade over time. You can never have enough power regarding PSU's, as the hardware will draw the power it needs.

1KW+ PSU's these days are for Mining rigs mostly.

Associate
OP
Thanks people.
Just checked and FE is 360W and the card I have says pulls 420W.
I may look into mining with the card when not using to get some of the outlay back.
Like I said, never meant to skimp as was dead set on a 3080 or TI.

I will go ahead and build with the 850W PSU then, if people are doing ok with theirs. I had just read a few folk talking about power spikes from 3090 and PC's resetting.

It's early life will be a spot of gaming at 1440P and possibly bit of Nicehash when not using it.

Looking forward to it. Not done a new build in 12 years, so time to get dirty with all the icue and different cables.
Coming from a i7 2600k (At 4.3ghz) and an Overclocked Vega 56. So should be a decent hump in performance.

Soldato
I didn't have such a good experience and had to swap my Corsair RM850W for a 1000w.
I had a 8700k @ 5.1g with 1.350v and a 3090 plus all the other bits and used to hit system power down in games. The 3090 can spike a massive amount of power at times. I would say a 850W is not enough, never skimp on PSU's in terms of quality and power, if your asking the question it probably isn't enough, theres plenty of other forums backing this up from memory as well when I did my research.

Soldato
Depends. 2 main differences are the HX has a 12v Rail switch so you can switch from a single rail to multiple rail (May be important for gaming) @pastymuncher will shed some light on how this is beneficial because I have no idea :D :confused:

The other is RM is 80+ gold, HX is 80+ Platinum. There may be a long term cost saving if you buy the HX & run the rig 24/7 at full chat for a couple of years. Apart from that, Id buy the RMx 'cos its cheaper.

Soldato
I worked out the long term saving of running a rig on the 2 different PSU's it worked out at 80p a year. I dug deep when I was deciding which one to go over, do your homework to if you like but the RM capacitors where greatly improved in the 2019 model I believe it was near enough on par with the HX and I ended up going for the RM due to this reason.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
If only I hadn't been in a rush for next day delivery. I would have gone for the RM100X. I ended up getting the HX1000. (80p a year, wow, I got suckered into the Platinum and cost more must be better)
Both say they have Jap Capacitors. Has the HX1000 had an upgrade or is it the old build repeated?

I notice on the PSU it says Single or Multi on the switch. What should I be putting it on?

Associate
This is the exact setup my son has, Corsair RM850 and 3090 Suprim and he has been having issues with what appears to be the PSU tripping out. This only happens when gaming, I have just installed a 1000w Corsair PSU and he is about to test it now. Will let you know the outcome!

Looking at the age of this thread I'm pretty sure you will have resolved this yourself already :)

Man of Honour
The tripping out happens on some PSUs up to 850w where the cut off is quite low on single rail PSUs from things I've been reading the last few days. The issue is fixed in more recent revisions though hence why people have been RMAing early versions.

I read about the trip on even a 3080 from a number of people with the RM750/850 yet I'm running a Phanteks 750w (Seasonic internals) which does not have the issue with a 3080 Ti.

There is some coil whine though under certain gaming conditions and I am in a position to keep or return an RM850w I bought to test out something else as a comparison I saw on youtube showed the RM850x has virtually no coil whine under similar gaming conditions.

Choices...

Associate
Forgot to update with the results. Basically working perfectly with the 1000w Corsair PSU, the 850W has gone back. :)

Associate
Just randomly read this and late but still worth mentioning. I was also choosing between the HX1000 and RM1000x.

HX has a better fan and the stark difference is when the fans spin up. RMx is at 400w but the HX won't spin till 500w load. I've not done the math but unless I'm mistaken this means the HX1000 can run a 3080 with a 5950x and not even spin the PSU fan but the RM1000x would. That's quite an interesting difference imo.

Back
Top Bottom