AV Receiver settings from PC

Associate
So I'm hoping that someone on the forum can help me out with this one.

I have my PC currently hooked up to my Yamaha RX-V581 receiver via Toslink from my Essence STX, for when I don't fancy using my headphones.

Currently the SPDIF Out setting is set to PCM, and the setting I have set on my receiver is just STRAIGHT.

My question is; is this set up correctly get the most out of my current setup? Or should I be using one of the DSP settings on my AV receiver?

Soldato
You should use bitstream setting on your PC. So when you play Dolby Digital and DTS, the AVR is receiving those audio streams. If you use PCM then it'll lose the discrete audio channels for multi channel and just be stereo.

Straight is a decent mode to use. I have a Yamaha AVR myself with PC system.

Associate
OP
You should use bitstream setting on your PC. So when you play Dolby Digital and DTS, the AVR is receiving those audio streams. If you use PCM then it'll lose the discrete audio channels for multi channel and just be stereo.

Straight is a decent mode to use. I have a Yamaha AVR myself with PC system.

So the only other option for SPDIF output is Dolby Digital Live, I should use this instead of PCM?

With regards to my receiver there's a Dolby Surround setting in the DSP, should I use this in conjunction with the Dolby Digital Live mode? Appreciate the help!

Soldato
So the only other option for SPDIF output is Dolby Digital Live, I should use this instead of PCM?

With regards to my receiver there's a Dolby Surround setting in the DSP, should I use this in conjunction with the Dolby Digital Live mode? Appreciate the help!
I think you need to find a pass through setting or exclusive mode. I think dd live does the decoding to 5 channels you need your avr to do that.

Soldato
Use Bitstream or DD live on your soundcard. Once you do that it'll be either converted to DD Live, or bitstreamed out. But you'll only want it converted to DD Live for Bitstream codecs, and not Pt PCM.

For PCM you want to output it as PCM (higher quality) DD Live will downsample high quality PCM to lower quality DD Live (check if it converts to regular low quality 384kb DD Live)

With Foobar use a ASIO plugin so it outputs as PCM (music)

Then for MPC HC use bitstream output.

Back
Top Bottom