Filament storage?

Soldato
What are people using to store their filament?.
Ive got 7 rolls now and ive tried vacuum bags but these dont last and let air in within a few days.
I purchased a some plastic purpose made storage boxes from technology outlet which have a one way valve on them but again they dont seal correctly and let air in within a day!.

Any better solutions?. I dont want to pay much so a dry box at £40 per box is out of the question.

Commissario
Watching this with interest, I've got my first printer with a couple of rolls arriving on Tuesday and I know that Mrs. Feek has bought me some more for Christmas. I'd like to store this stuff properly.

Associate
I've used the food vacuum bags with no issues, you have to make sure the bag is sealed correctly and I also push down on the little circle area you pump the air out of after I've done it. I have a spool sealed up for at least 6 months without letting air in.

But I also, for filament that's been stored for that long dry it in a food dehydrator for 5hr+ before use.

But honestly as long as it's even in a basic zip lock bag with most of the air out you should be ok. Of course some filament takes on more moisture than others so.

Associate
I keep my all my rolls of PLA in the resealable bags they came with. I keep some of the little bags of silica in with each roll. The bags of filament live in a big plastic storage box with a clip lid. This keeps them pretty well dry for many months, but I do have a filament drier. I give new spools, or spools I haven't used for a while a good heat through for 6 hours or so.

Back
Top Bottom