• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Just bought a new monitor and the OCD Hz isn't matching the frame rate?

MrH

MrH

Associate
I bought the Dell S2721DGFA which is Gsync compatible and I'm noticing the refresh rate isn't matching the frame rate like it's supposed to? I'm using the monitors own OSD to show the Hz and Rivatuner to show the frame rate. My frame rate never moves the Hz fluctuates constantly?

https://streamable.com/up359x

Soldato
I guess if you are stood still in agame the framrate wont move much. Is that a game or a benchmark? Looks like you've limited the in game framerate maybe?
Though the monitor should match it depending on the G-sync range.

Have you turned on G-sync on in Nvidia control panel? Display>setup G-sync

MrH

MrH

Associate
OP
I guess if you are stood still in agame the framrate wont move much. Is that a game or a benchmark? Looks like you've limited the in game framerate maybe?
Though the monitor should match it depending on the G-sync range.

Have you turned on G-sync on in Nvidia control panel? Display>setup G-sync

Frame rate is capped using RTSS. Gsync is enabled in the NVCP. The game is New World.

I was under the impression the refresh rate should match the frame rate, so if it's 100% stable at 120FPS the refresh rate shouldn't move, but it's all over the place.

Soldato
Oh yeah I get how odd it is, just eliminating the obvious. I play a game with the fps limited to 120fps (my monitor) max frame rate and they sync fine. What does it show if you remove the frame cap, they the same then?

Soldato
I bought the Dell S2721DGFA which is Gsync compatible and I'm noticing the refresh rate isn't matching the frame rate like it's supposed to? I'm using the monitors own OSD to show the Hz and Rivatuner to show the frame rate. My frame rate never moves the Hz fluctuates constantly?

https://streamable.com/up359x

If your hz changes like that you have a faulty monitor.
hz should be fixed never moving.

also frame rate may not necessarily match the hz of the monitor.

In your stream almost looks like fps and hz is the wrong way round, FPS constantly moves, hz should be fixed.

MrH

MrH

Associate
OP
Oh yeah I get how odd it is, just eliminating the obvious. I play a game with the fps limited to 120fps (my monitor) max frame rate and they sync fine. What does it show if you remove the frame cap, they the same then?

Right I tested some more, if I cap to anything other than 165 the refresh rate fluctuates with a stable frame rate. If the frame rate is uncapped and I'm getting over 165FPS it'll stay at 165Hz, the same can be said if I cap the frame rate at 165FPS. It also stays at 165Hz on the desktop. So it seems to be an issue with capping the frame rate at anything other 165. Is this normal behaviour?

Video of New World uncapped: https://streamable.com/epnd0m

Last edited:

MrH

MrH

Associate
OP
If you use the pendulum demo https://www.nvidia.com.tr/coolstuff/demos#!/g-sync

Use the FPS slider option in the bottom left and go 40 min fps and 165 max

Does it sync properly using the demo?

Not exactly sure what I'm looking for, but I recorded it for you. The Hz doesn't seem to match the frame rate at all to my eye, except when simulated 60FPS. I tried all simulation modes and Vsync on/off and Gsync. Hopefully, it tells you something.

https://streamable.com/0iktit

Soldato
Not exactly sure what I'm looking for, but I recorded it for you. The Hz doesn't seem to match the frame rate at all to my eye, except when simulated 60FPS. I tried all simulation modes and Vsync on/off and Gsync. Hopefully, it tells you something.

https://streamable.com/0iktit

Hmmmm just tried mine and it does the same WITH THE PENDULUM DEMO. Some of it when you pause play, the fps is close to hz. Low fps it seems to double the hz value or near as dammit.

Your uncapped vid - the fps is within ~8fps but the OSD hz has a ~35hz min-max variance.

Just installed riva myself and my OSD isn't as accurate or steady as riva. Played a couple of games and it's a couple of FPS out and not as fixed as rivatuner is displaying the fps, more fluctuating than the steady fps figure. So maybe monitor OSD's aren't that accurate or polling rates will differ, seem less smooth?

MrH

MrH

Associate
OP
Hmmmm just tried mine and it does the same WITH THE PENDULUM DEMO. Some of it when you pause play, the fps is close to hz. Low fps it seems to double the hz value or near as dammit.

Your uncapped vid - the fps is within ~8fps but the OSD hz has a ~35hz min-max variance.

Just installed riva myself and my OSD isn't as accurate or steady as riva. Played a couple of games and it's a couple of FPS out and not as fixed as rivatuner is displaying the fps, more fluctuating than the steady fps figure. So maybe monitor OSD's aren't that accurate or polling rates will differ, seem less smooth?

I mean honestly, it feels great when I'm actually gaming on it, I just noticed this behaviour and was worried something was wrong.

Associate
My monitor does not seem to have an option to display the Hz. Id always wondered if it would match up perfectly.

Honestly, if it plays and looks fine I probably wouldnt worry about it. Only if you are getting tearing or other issues indicative of G-Sync not working properly Id leave it and enjoy the smooth games.

MrH

MrH

Associate
OP
My monitor does not seem to have an option to display the Hz. Id always wondered if it would match up perfectly.

Honestly, if it plays and looks fine I probably wouldnt worry about it. Only if you are getting tearing or other issues indicative of G-Sync not working properly Id leave it and enjoy the smooth games.

Yeah, I'm probably just going to go with this advice, I don't think anything is wrong with it because it feels incredible to game on. I came from a Viewsonic XG2401 144Hz 1080p and that was a very well-reviewed monitor that I enjoyed massively, but this Dell is another beast entirely, it's a noticeable step up and the performance hit hasn't been too bad going from 1080p to 1440p.

Associate
There is a lower range to which things like Freesync and monitors work. If it drops below the range then it'll double up. So in the 40FPS test you may output 40FPS but the monitor doesn't support 40Hz so will double it up to 80Hz. The rounding isn't great so you see it bounce around.

Man of Honour
I can answer this one. Watching your video, I'm 90% confident it is just a polling frequency mismatch in conjunction with a framerate limit that is causing irregular frame pacing.

Your monitor looks to be polling quite frequently because the refresh rate is changing rapidly. Note how it goes both below and above the 120fps mark. But I'd wager the average is 120fps.
With RivaTuner, it is probably polling less frequently. So it says 120fps constant because it is rendering 120 frames every second. But 1 second is an incredibly long amount of time when dealing with frametimes below 0.01s. You render 120 frames every second, but those frames may not have the same frametime, some may take longer than others.
What you need to do is go into Rivatuner and change the polling frequency to be much more rapid. Choose as low as you can reasonably go whilst still being able to read the FPS counter, maybe 0.2s to begin with. I expect you will find that your "120fps" is not actually constant, it is doing what the monitor says, jumping up and down i.e frametimes are not a consisnt 1/120 = ~8.3ms but rather it will be averaging to 8.3ms but actually moving around between say 7ms and 9.5ms. Add a frametime graph if you can too.

edit: There can be 'valid' reasons for this. Imagine a scenario where you are running a 120fps cap, so targeting 8.3ms average frametime. The game hits a situation where it is too demanding to produce a frame in 8.3ms. Lets say it takes 9ms or the equivalent of ~111fps. Then the demand on the system is reduced. We are now "behind schedule" to hit a 8.3ms average so we take advantage of the reduced demand and produce frames quicker, lets say every 8ms for a while. This pulls the average back down. And we get back on track at 8.3ms average or 120fps equivalent. This all happens very rapidly within a single second. Now you could make an argument that a true framerate limiter would never allow a frame to render quicker than 8.33ms i.e. it should have a resolution of a single frame, but that in itself might carry quite a system overhead and is probably a debate for another day.

The refresh rate changing is a good thing in the sense that suggests Gsync is working, otherwise it would just be locked at a constant value.

Tbh, this is a good example of why ideally we should move away from using FPS as a measure of game performance and focus on frametime (min/max/avg/etc) instead. FPS is too coarse a grain, I mean you could have a game running at 360fps but if it renders 359 frames in 0.5s and then 1 frame in the next 0.5s, it will laggy as hell.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom