What are you getting your families for xmas?

Associate
Live away from family, and we didn't tend to do presents anyway, so..

We don't tend to exchange gifts with my partner. If I want to buy her something, I do, it doesn't have to be Christmas/bday/etc.

We used to do secret santa up to £15 with some friends, but this year we said we'll get desserts instead. Each one of us bring a unique dessert and we'll share.

Soldato
For the kids it's pretty easy, the past few years we've decided with me and my partners brothers and sisters that we don't buy each other gifts and just get the kids presents.

Dad - Alcohol
Mum - A photo in a frame she wanted
Grandad #1 - Alcohol
Grandad #2 - A small hamper with nice sweet treats

Half the time with my family, nobody seem to know what they want, but I think that goes for most people anyway. We've never "gone big" on presents and I don't think I ever would. I'm more looking forward to seeing my son and step-son open their presents as well as eating my dinner and drinking plenty of alcohol.

Associate
The Mrs and I stopped buying for each other years ago, as others have said if we want something, we get it at the time.

As for the rest.... I have a large family and they all go overboard on presents so we're expected to reciprocate and it seems to escalate every year. We did all agree to cut back about 6-7 years ago, but then found out on the day that my wife and I were the only ones who actually had leaving us looking like the bad guys. Since then tried to get people to agree to a secret santa with everyonone recieving one high quality gift, but most of my siblings have kids and they would 'lose' too much so was a no go unfortunately.

If I sound miserable, I am not - very much looking forward to the festive break, but could do without all the commercial guff.

Soldato
Mr wife and I have been going to a local therapist for 5 years for full body massages (an hour of bliss) once a month. Our Christmas present to each other is a voucher for a years worth of massages. The masseur gets a nice lump sum every year (helps with her Christmas expenses/holiday booking) and we get a years worth of relaxation that we don't have to think about paying for. Just book, turn up and relax.
Oh, and it's significantly cheaper than the PAYG rate too.

Back
Top Bottom