Dashcams support the proactive casualty reduction work of the police. NSF[TWFox]

Man of Honour
UK Dashcams on YouTube is one of my guilty pleasures in life and it is blatant that many of the dashcam warriors on there are driving in such a way that they are trying to create situations.
Yes a classic source to make my point for me. How many people who send in videos with their indignations are oblivious to their own shortcomings. Except me….know wun is perfekt

Soldato
I need to buy a dashcam. What is the most popular at the moment?

There's a whole thread on that subject, but I rate my Aukey DR02 very highly. A front and rear camera is an absolute must in these days of crash-for-cash, and a camera with infrared that records the inside is a must if you ride-share (Uber et al) and also good to prove that you weren't using your phone and had your seatbelt on and so on. If you have a VW / Audi / Skoda etc make sure your camera will turn itself off automatically or you will kill your battery.

Soldato
So my current car has 4 dash cams constantly running and I've saved clips of other drivers just in case I need to refer back.

Because there's so many similar cars out there recording all the time there's a channel on YT called Wham Bham Tesla Cam which compiles them.

Anyway my point is after watching a few too many episodes I'm seen several incidents where one party was obviously at fault to a viewer. However until the cam footage was used as evidence the attending officers or insurance were not going to take action against said party. So I'd rather have the footage available just in case.

Soldato
UK Dashcams on YouTube is one of my guilty pleasures in life and it is blatant that many of the dashcam warriors on there are driving in such a way that they are trying to create situations.
Some of the cam cars are atrocious. The best one I have seen, was where a bus pulls out in front of the cam car (Bus is coming out of a street on the left and is turning right). You have to watch this clip at atleast twice but probably three times to get the full context.

Upon first viewing it just seems like an over-reacting cammer who intentionally moves their car partially across the line onto oncoming to make things look worst than they are.
The second time you watch it, you notice the cam car speed up as the bus pulls out before slowing down again to avoid hitting the bus.
The third time you watch it, you realise that the speed recorded by the dashcam in the bottom left, never actually increase but is constantly decreasing. The cammer had sped up the footage before submitting it. :cry:

Man of Honour
If you have a VW / Audi / Skoda etc make sure your camera will turn itself off automatically or you will kill your battery.

I'd have to check but I think the VWs I drive only have active 12V outputs, unless you do your own hardwire, with the ignition on, while on my Navara it is mixed with some always live and some only live with the ignition.

Associate
Some of the videos posted on channels like UK dash cams are laughable and I wouldn't waste police time reporting similar situations.

A couple years back I did see something worth reporting though, a full on road rage incident with punches thrown. Took the footage to West Midlands Police who said that because I wasn't the victim and I couldn't say there was damage caused they wouldn't even look at the footage or log that any incident had took place. I was speechless...

Soldato
Forgive me for not knowing the area, but I can't see them actually driving into McDonalds there?

I can think of several occasions at work (full disclosure, I'm a police officer) where there has been two police vehicles in convoy like that (or a police vehicle following an ambulance) and you'd put the lights on like that to skip through red lights, that I'd consider for a legitimate police purpose, no McDonalds involved.

Man of Honour
Forgive me for not knowing the area, but I can't see them actually driving into McDonalds there?

I can think of several occasions at work (full disclosure, I'm a police officer) where there has been two police vehicles in convoy like that (or a police vehicle following an ambulance) and you'd put the lights on like that to skip through red lights, that I'd consider for a legitimate police purpose, no McDonalds involved.

I don't know the full circumstances and what is and isn't procedure but driving a lot at night I see that kind of thing a fair bit where the police are responding to stuff like late night domestics, etc. where they are driving only slightly faster than normal without their lights or siren but using their lights to go through reds etc. then further up the road I pass them stopped where stuff is kicking off outside a house, etc.

Or like this one where someone, possibly drunk, had hit a parked car.

lRXlOHP.png

Soldato
For me this is a bad thing as we all **** up at moments in time.

I'd hope most people's **** up moments don't result in outright dangerous manoeuvres.

I'm sure the police aren't interested in someone making the obvious mistakes. But if people are driving on the wrong side of the road, driving on pavements, jumping red lights etc, these aren't sudden oops/lack of attention moments.

I'd hope most people's **** up moments don't result in outright dangerous manoeuvres.

I'm sure the police aren't interested in someone making the obvious mistakes. But if people are driving on the wrong side of the road, driving on pavements, jumping red lights etc, these aren't sudden oops/lack of attention moments.

This 100%

And whilst I agree we all make mistakes, and certainly some dashcam users, dashcam warriors I guess are a bit baity with their driving the ones they are baiting are probably used to doing dodgy things anyway.
Someone with a dashcam wouldnt make me undertake dangerous activities in my car

NVP

NVP

Soldato
The thing that worries me is the dashcam footage that shows me bombing past some next man being used for prosecution :( won't be just fixed cams you gotta watch out for now.

Need me a Bond style rear license plate swivel-majig

Man of Honour

Yeah absolutely.

I've made mistakes from misjudging a situation occasionally, which haven't been dangerous but have inconvenienced other people where I'd do something different next time but I can imagine some people would submit footage to dashcam channels and/or the police. Sometime we just don't make the best decision in the spur of the moment.

One of the reasons I got a dashcam though was to be able to review my own driving and improve on it - sometimes there are things we miss, etc. which can be learnt from to do better next time.

Back
Top Bottom