Should you always sear beef before roasting?

Soldato
I ask as i'm just figuring out the best way to tackle rib roast tomorrow for Xmas dinner. I've been brought up and taught that you "should always sear beef before you roast it". I'm pretty sure the rationale was that it helps unlock more flavour through the malliard reaction of browning it. I can understand doing this for slow cooking as it isnt going to get the intense heat of say an oven to brown it, but is it necessary when using a standard oven?

I've been looking at a lot of rib roast recipes and none of them have called for the meat to be browned beforehand, they just all say to whack it into a super hot oven from the off and then turn it down after 20-30 mins, which seems OK to me but just want to make sure i'm not missing anything obvious here!

Last edited:
Soldato
Unless you're the one eating the seared ends, then no.
But if you are, then yes and very much yes.
It's where the flavour is!
Personally, it's as important as resting the meat after cooking.

Tea Drinker
Don
Smaller joints yes always, larger like rib just a super hot oven and plenty of seasoning.

It’s difficult to sear a rib roast all the way round you end up seating only half of it.

Associate
I'd say it probably depends on how you are going to cook it. If you are doing the meat low and slow, and the temperature in the oven isn't high enough, the reaction won't occur at all.

The other thing to bear in mind is that the maillard reaction isn't a single process. It creates flavour compounds, which as it continues to cook create different flavour compounds over time, which... well you get the idea. So typically the earlier you can start the process the better.

Soldato
Yea beef just screaming hot oven for 20-25 minutes, then turn in right down and cook it to how you like it. I normally cover it once I turn the heat down. Same with lamb.

Oddly with chicken I do almost the opposite I cook it low and covered then uncover with the oven up a little for the last 10 minutes or so just to get it a bit golden.

Soldato
Searing helps lock in the moisture and flavour in my experience. I wouldn’t consider cooking a joint of beef without searing it first with some cubed onions in the pot.

Back
Top Bottom