• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon Super Resolution in 2022?

Soldato
Based on several articles posted today. News outlets have picked up on information suggesting that AMD is advancing their FSR tech in 2022 and call it Radeon Super Resolution. It's not wholly clear what this does. But the gist of it is to allow FSR functionality through the GUI of the drivers. If true, it's not clear of any continued support for Nvidia GPUs using FSR or if FSR (in it's current use case) will have continued support once RSR is released.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/a...-resolution-rsr-to-democratize-fsr-technology

https://wccftech.com/amd-readies-ra...gy-could-be-enabled-in-games-through-drivers/

https://www.neowin.net/news/amd039s...uld-work-with-all-games-right-out-of-the-box/

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-to-...lution-rsr-technology-that-works-in-all-games

https://www.techpowerup.com/290341/...per-resolution-rsr-upscale-tech-in-early-2022

Last edited:
Caporegime
It reads like RSR is effectively an injector for FSR rather than a replacement.

This.

Would be foolish to abandon the push to get it in games "officially" given that we have already seen how nvidia NIS and FSR when injected with 3rd party tools is already lacklustre in many areas via this method.

However, saying that, it is a good/necessary move overall for amd given that FSR is missing from a lot of games where it is badly "needed" but no sign of "official" FSR support coming to them anytime soon.

Associate
BsR :D

The so called RSR will do exactly what Nvidia NIS does. So it does not need to be integrated in each game but it will only work on latest AMD cards. And by doing this, AMD are killing their own child, there is almost no reason for any of the developers to integrate FSR anymore.
So if RSR is based on FSR 1.0 and you have a 5000 or 6000 series AMD card you can use RSR in any game ( for example Cyberpunk or Metro Exodus ) so that solves the problem of Nvidia sponsored titles blocking AMD tech. But the IQ will look the same as it looks now with FSR and there is almost no way to improve it without per game integration and adding your own antialiasing. AMD should focus on adding good antialiasing to FSR.

Caporegime
BsR :D

The so called RSR will do exactly what Nvidia NIS does. So it does not need to be integrated in each game but it will only work on latest AMD cards. And by doing this, AMD are killing their own child, there is almost no reason for any of the developers to integrate FSR anymore.
So if RSR is based on FSR 1.0 and you have a 5000 or 6000 series AMD card you can use RSR in any game ( for example Cyberpunk or Metro Exodus ) so that solves the problem of Nvidia sponsored titles blocking AMD tech. But the IQ will look the same as it looks now with FSR and there is almost no way to improve it without per game integration and adding your own antialiasing. AMD should focus on adding good antialiasing to FSR.

Exactly this, that is why AMD/game developers need to continue to officially integrate it in order to achieve a good end result for IQ as well as well as ensuring you get a good FPS boost too. Just one of the many threads discussing the drawbacks of "injecting/forcing" FSR into a game:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/pfmjpw/unpopular_opinion_dont_inject_fsr_with_3rd_party/

Given that NIS also suffers similar problems, I suspect AMD will encounter the same issues with forcing it via their drivers.

Also, if true (i.e. the bit about this being limited to 5xxx and 6xxx amd gpus only) and "assuming" this being the go to route instead of officially implementing "FSR"...... that would be laughable at best given the fact that was the biggest selling point of "FSR" and was AMDs biggest and imo only selling point for FSR i.e. "look at us, we're the good guys and the white knight for pc gamers by having a solution that is so easy + quick to add, which everyone can use" :p

Not 100% sure now but is that confirmed about nvidia blocking FSR in their games? Doesn't the medium, back 4 blood, icarus offer FSR? I "think" they are nvidia sponsored titles, as said though, not 100% sure on that.

Associate
Not 100% sure now but is that confirmed about nvidia blocking FSR in their games? Doesn't the medium, back 4 blood, icarus offer FSR? I "think" they are nvidia sponsored titles, as said though, not 100% sure on that.
My guess is they are both doing it, otherwise there is no reason for any game not to offer FSR/DLSS support. As a dev you want your game to sell to as many people as you can, to spend one more day to have potentially tens of thousands of sales more by adding FSR or DLSS will be the smartest thing to do. But they have exclusivity contracts, you take the cash from the devil during development, you dance as the devil wants. :)
The medium or Icarus are not big titles but think about a game like Metro EE or CP 2077 or FC6. There is no reason for Metro devs not to add FSR when they know the Big Navi cards will struggle with the RT and that may hurt their sales. Even more so for FC6 you are hurting a big market for not adding DLSS. No sane dev will do such a thing if they don't have exclusivity contracts.

Last edited:
Caporegime
My guess is they are both doing it, otherwise there is no reason for any game not to offer FSR/DLSS support. As a dev you want your game to sell to as many people as you can, to spend one more day to have potentially tens of thousands of sales more by adding FSR or DLSS will be the smartest thing to do. But they have exclusivity contracts, you take the cash from the devil during development, you dance as the devil wants. :)
The medium or Icarus are not big titles but think about a game like Metro EE or CP 2077 or FC6. There is no reason for Metro devs not to add FSR when they know the Big Navi cards will struggle with the RT and that may hurt their sales. Even more so for FC6 you are hurting a big market for not adding DLSS. No sane dev will do such a thing if they don't have exclusivity contracts.

Valid points.

Such a shame dlss/dlaa wasn't added to FC 6 as that game has awful taa implementation thus fsr just enhances the taa issues even further.

Soldato
OP
I get the impression this is for the 6000 of APUs more so then just discrete gpus alone. I don't think nvidia is the target but Intel. To fight off their offerings. AMD has a much larger portfolio for why they would do this.
-Consoles
-APUs
-GPUs
-etc

Soldato
Sounds cool if AMD can get this to work in quality FSR mode in all games, just by flicking a switch in the control panel.

Nobody likes d****** around with this stuff in game.

I think FSR is still a bit inferior to DLSS, but the sharpening is generally more effective.

I agree that they are probably worried about Intel's image scaling tech, especially if it's designed to work at the display driver level.

It makes sense to offer an official implementation, as there's already a 3rd party way to upscale games with FSR image scaling

Soldato
There's paid software available on Steam that does this already but it's cool that AMD are looking to include this into the graphics driver. I just wish AMD would focus on fixing the black screen/boot issue on the 6600XT.

Soldato
It reads like RSR is effectively an injector for FSR rather than a replacement.

And it only runs on amd rx5000/6000 GPUs

So despite wanting to create industry standards, amd is going back the other way now to proprietary locked down software solutions

Soldato
And it only runs on amd rx5000/6000 GPUs

So despite wanting to create industry standards, amd is going back the other way now to proprietary locked down software solutions

The videocardz article didn't say that, so you are putting an aweful lot into nothing.
AMD Radeon Super Resolution will be released in January 2022. It will be supported by RDNA1 and RDNA2 architectures (RX 5000 and newer). We currently do not have any other information that would suggest support for older GPUs or games with borderless fullscreen mode, but those might be added at some point in the future.

Now they might do it, who knows, and if they announce no support then feel free to roast them a bit, heck i'll even throw on some gas on the fire myself. But new features usually has to have a starting point and it makes sense to start with your latest products and work down the stack.

Back
Top Bottom