Food disruptions feared in UK as new Brexit rules kick in

Man of Honour
The supermarket shelves are bare, they haven't had mince pies, pigs in blankets or Bailey's in stock for over a week now

I take it that’s your post Christmas attempt at sardonic humour?

Have noticed more and more food out of stock in Waitrose and Ocado. No carrots last week and no minced meat (lamb, beef, pork) available at all currently. That and the massively reduced variety of food that’s simply disappeared entirely is quite scary :/

If that’s true, and I have no way of knowing if it’s an exaggeration or not, could it be down to your postcode?
In the week leading to Christmas we had two deliveries, one from Asda and one from Tesco, we received every food, meat, vegetable, fish etc item that my wife had ordered, plus champagne, spirits, mixers, beers and ciders.
The only hiccup, (if you can call it that), was that she’d ordered 2 x 70cl bottles of Gordon’s Pink Gin at a special price, these were out of stock but they’d substituted 1 litre of Gordon’s Pink Gin at a pro rata discount.
She has since ordered another Asda delivery for Saturday 08/01/22, she received a confirmation email today with no mention of any out of stock items, which they normally tell her about prior to the delivery.

Commissario
The final form.

Is this the sort of movie Magnolia would watch?

The form filling is seen by some as petty punishment for leaving, and then not reconsidering and voting again, then voting to continue. Obviously, dems the rules and we all knew what we were voting for. This is pathetic though. Is this how we (humans) do things now? Is this us mandating the forms (we must have some) or is it the EU building a wall of paperwork for the sake of being as invasive as possible?

Edit: People moaning about carrots being out of stock, we grow them in this country ffs so it's nothing to do with this.
The paper work is exactly what we impost in incoming goods from countries we don't have trade deals with, and that the EU had for countries they didn't have deals with before we left the EU.

It's just that we're now in the same boat in terms of paperwork as any other non EU country, so the "red tape" that Farage et al used to whinge about that was often a simple form is now a couple of reams of paperwork.

Soldato
So the problem is actually the paperwork, a self imposed issue, not some insurmountable barrier. This is within our power to change and we should look to make those necessary changes asap.

Soldato
So the problem is actually the paperwork, a self imposed issue, not some insurmountable barrier. This is within our power to change and we should look to make those necessary changes asap.

For a smaller business, that could mean taking on an extra member of staff just to deal with the paperwork, say an admin/trainee accountant who's clued up on taxes and freight forwarding etc...25-30k a year? a cost they cannot afford, so they just stop exporting to europe.

Soldato
I couldn't believe the amount of food waste I saw on Christmas Eve afternoon, so many reduced items, including about 8 turkeys in my local Budgens of all places. I've never seen so much waste in my life, I bought a couple of ducks and put them in my freezer. I think after that week of media hyped fuel rush, that people are starting to realise these type of stories are the equivalent of the Daily Express "ICE BOMB COMING NEXT WEEK WITH SIXTY YEAR RECORD SNOW LEVELS" articles.

Don't share them, it's irresponsible.

Man of Honour
Have noticed more and more food out of stock in Waitrose and Ocado. No carrots last week and no minced meat (lamb, beef, pork) available at all currently. That and the massively reduced variety of food that’s simply disappeared entirely is quite scary :/
Ocado have some warehouse issues at the moment (issue being one burnt down last year).

Man of Honour
Great, more fear mongering. Food shopping on Christmas Eve and I’ve never seen the shelves so stocked. Weren’t we all meant to starve over Christmas? Petrol seems in plentiful supply again too.

Easter eggs out of stock everywhere

Loads here.

I couldn't believe the amount of food waste I saw on Christmas Eve afternoon, so many reduced items, including about 8 turkeys in my local Budgens of all places. I've never seen so much waste in my life, I bought a couple of ducks and put them in my freezer. I think after that week of media hyped fuel rush, that people are starting to realise these type of stories are the equivalent of the Daily Express "ICE BOMB COMING NEXT WEEK WITH SIXTY YEAR RECORD SNOW LEVELS" articles.

Don't share them, it's irresponsible.

M&S had crate load after crate load of sprouts - I think they overestimated demand :p

Soldato
This is basically it.
I do think much of this boil down to people not be arsed to find out what they need to provide until after they need to provide it.

Considering even the UK governent itself has no clue, busineses are in the dark, and the rules could change in two shakes of a British Lambs tail.

Buy some software to fix it you say? hahahahah!

Hahahahah!

And an IT consultant on £500 per day to configure it...how much do you think that would cost a small busines? Like a farmer or a fisherman or a producer of some sort of quaint cottage industry product?

Soldato
More like Brexit; the gift that takes away with one hand, and takes even more away with the other.

And if you don't like being shafted, you're just not being patriotic enough.

Soldato
Considering even the UK governent itself has no clue, busineses are in the dark, and the rules could change in two shakes of a British Lambs tail.
Buy some software to fix it you say? hahahahah!
Hahahahah!
And an IT consultant on £500 per day to configure it...how much do you think that would cost a small busines? Like a farmer or a fisherman or a producer of some sort of quaint cottage industry product?

This isn't actually what I meant, if the government is pro-business as the retarded ******* keeping saying they are, then such things as software for forms, should be govt created, as the same time as the custom requirement is.
Yes let them pay some git £500 a day, but frankly it shouldn't take that long to generate what is basically a tick box form with some labelling.
If the govt won't help business, then they can't expect results from it.

This clearly is a govt issue, and could be rectified by the govt, but instead thye moan and claim they'll activate article 16, which in effect will mean more forms for every single items, plus charges on top.
Their solution is to make things worse. Their get out of jail card is to cripple everything, but at least old Moggy is happy with our freedoms.

Soldato
The issue is the quantity of paperwork, (as someone who works in the industry). We have to file up to 700 forms per container, and the authorities are pedantic, some must be on green paper, some pink etc. get it wrong, the whole container is rejected. With perishable goods that gets expensive quickly.

The system has operated for goods to NI for the last year, and been almost impossible to operate on any scale, hence food shortages and ultimately reduced ranges there.

It is a broken and unworkable system designed by government official who have no idea of the real world.

Sounds completely stupid, but sadly I can 100% believe a team of "political advisors" designed the new paperwork system with absolutely no regard for pace and/or scale of food shipping operations

Pedantry within the authorities over paper colour is so typical :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom