Car Insurance renewals

Soldato
Just out of interest, does that include breakdown cover and a courtesy car if your car is damaged? It is possible that that I have included extra's on my insurance that maybe I don't really need but just felt like it provided peace of mind just in case.

Courtesy car yes - it's the only additional feature (along with Protected No-Claims) that I add to a policy. My breakdown is covered by a "Skoda All-in" service/MOT/Warranty/Breakdown package.

Associate
I pay £500 for a modded 335d and my girlfriend pays £178 for her Getz. Unfortunately you're always going to have to shop around at renewal time, seemingly by design.

Man of Honour
I pay £500 for a modded 335d and my girlfriend pays £178 for her Getz. Unfortunately you're always going to have to shop around at renewal time, seemingly by design.

For the last 4 years I've not been able to beat my auto-renewals with Admiral! (which is not the experience some of my family have had where even 300% increases without any change in their circumstances aren't uncommon).

Soldato

Not from this year onwards, they have to offer their best price so as to not disadvantage loyal customers compared to new. https://www.whatcar.com/news/car-in...ned-from-charging-loyal-customers-more/n21991

For the last 4 years I've not been able to beat my auto-renewals with Admiral! (which is not the experience some of my family have had where even 300% increases without any change in their circumstances aren't uncommon).

I’ve been with Admiral for the same time period and I always have to call them although they always match the price. Quite often the difference has been £100+ although my circumstances are unusual as I didn’t drive for a period of years so just building my NCB (up to 5 years this year IIRC).

Soldato
I always thought mileage mattered on a policy but for me at least, it doesn’t seem to make much difference. Last year I paid about £440 with 10 years no claims, 2 windscreen claims and 1 non-fault claim, business cover and 40k miles a year declared.

I’ve been doing less miles than usual, like most people, but I’m probably doing 20-25k at the moment. But when I look around at new insurance quotes there’s a difference of something like £11 for the year between 25k and 40k for me so I just leave it as 40k. Admin fees make it a waste of time to change it anyway.

Would this be frowned upon by an insurer in the event of a claim? I understand that doing more miles than is declared can be a problem but what about the other way? Surely that wouldn’t be an issue…or shouldn’t. Who knows with the games insurance companies play these days.

Man of Honour
I always thought mileage mattered on a policy but for me at least, it doesn’t seem to make much difference.

It tends to make more of a difference towards the extremes in my experience at any rate (not necessarily intuitively either). Around the mid 10s of thousands it doesn't seem to make much odds or only a couple of quid or so at best.

Something I've seen mentioned a couple of times recently is that a lot of insurance factors play into the last mile you live in which statistically is where a large number of incidents occur and that can effect other aspects in a way which isn't very easy to understand intuitively.

Soldato
Had a pleasant surprise this year, renewal was only £20 more with Admiral than comparison sites so got onto live chat. They then beat comparison sites by over £50 for an almost £85 drop from original quote on their first counter.

Man of Honour
Would this be frowned upon by an insurer in the event of a claim? I understand that doing more miles than is declared can be a problem but what about the other way? Surely that wouldn’t be an issue…or shouldn’t. Who knows with the games insurance companies play these days.
Unlikely, especially given the changing WFH guidance and general covid impacts meaning reduced mileages. Some insurers even gave rebates last year for people doing less mileage.

Man of Honour

It may do in the extremes i.e. if you insured for 25,000 miles and only did 200 or something - you are supposed to inform them of changes of circumstances, etc.

In a rare case there might be implications for under-reported mileage if it was somehow relevant to a claim. At the end of the day it is estimated usage with some overhead and isn't expected to be precise.

According to a couple of articles the cheapest points are around 10-12K miles and it starts to climb below 5K and above 25K.

Associate
Had a pleasant surprise this year, renewal was only £20 more with Admiral than comparison sites so got onto live chat. They then beat comparison sites by over £50 for an almost £85 drop from original quote on their first counter.

Admiral were great with me this year. They quoted me £380 which was in line with last years. Called up and they asked what was my best quote I said £330 and then matched it straight away. Then asked about my home insurance which I tried to fob him off but glad he persisted as he knocked my car insurance down to £251 if I agreed to take out my home contents insurance with them from July to Dec this year putting me on multi cover with them. The home insurance is the same as I’m paying now so that’s a win aswell.

OcUK Staff

My renewal with Admiral was also a pleasant surprise, reduced by £120. :)

Soldato
How many people here get the additional things like motor legal or personal injury ?

When i was doing a lot of mileage i did add it on - figured more mileage = more chance of being involved in an accident = more chance of likely needing legal cover.

I think some years i had it free (perhaps with esure). Since mileage has plummeted, i no longer add it on (unless it's free).

Soldato
Renewal quote for my Focus ST (modded) from Zenith was £384 fully comp (up £40 on last year).
Got a quote from the meercats for £226 FC from the RAC :D
No prizes for guessing who i went with.

Man of Honour
Oof, best quote for a 38 year old with 9 years NCB in a boring 1.9 diesel Skoda estate doing 8k miles...

£417 with a £350 excess :(

Seems about average in my experience for a VW group 1.9-2.0 TDI. ~£380 for me at similar age and 10K miles.

IIRC my dad just about dropped under £400 with his Touran by shopping around after Admiral wanted £700...

Soldato
I think (possibly) in my case, age may play a factor.
When I burst forth into the grand old age of 50, not only was my car insurance significantly cheaper, but the cover for my KTM Superduke 1290R nearly halved.
Top tip...

Get old :D

Back
Top Bottom