Prescription VR lenses - worth buying?

Soldato
Thanks Guys, I thought it was the distance ones he would use.

He hasn't got the Quest 2 yet. And he lives too far from me to travel to at the moment because of Lockdown. So he can't try mine out.

Associate
You need a distance prescription - normal focal distance for VR headsets is 1.5 - 2m.
The 2 metre bit seems to be correct, but my older eyes don't treat that as infinity and I find my XBox screen prescription (2 metres) works far better.
I had a fruitless 'discussion' with vroptician.com about this but they insisted it should be distance prescription which simply doesn't work for me in the G2.
Does anyone else here have a prescription of about +2 and find that works? The alternative is that having the lens right on top of the G2 lens might reduce the necessary strength. I need to know what to order as they aren't cheap enough to throw money at.

Soldato
The 2 metre bit seems to be correct, but my older eyes don't treat that as infinity and I find my XBox screen prescription (2 metres) works far better.
I had a fruitless 'discussion' with vroptician.com about this but they insisted it should be distance prescription which simply doesn't work for me in the G2.
Does anyone else here have a prescription of about +2 and find that works? The alternative is that having the lens right on top of the G2 lens might reduce the necessary strength. I need to know what to order as they aren't cheap enough to throw money at.

in all likelihood you were talking to bog standard support staff reading off a script at vroptician, your best bet is going to be talking to your actual optician and explain exactly what you've said here, if you've already tried both sets of glasses inside the headset and found one that works and is already set up for around 2m (which is what most headsets are set to) then I would be inclined to assume that would be the one you want to order

Associate
in all likelihood you were talking to bog standard support staff reading off a script at vroptician, your best bet is going to be talking to your actual optician and explain exactly what you've said here, if you've already tried both sets of glasses inside the headset and found one that works and is already set up for around 2m (which is what most headsets are set to) then I would be inclined to assume that would be the one you want to order
My impression is that they ASK for the distance/infinity prescription and then do the conversion math themselves for the ~2meters distance and SEND adjusted lenses. Which makes sense as asking for a "screen" prescription would make things more confusing and error-prone (what screen distance? usually that's for around 50-70cm distance, not 2m; how common even is a screen prescription? etc..). But this is just my supposition (which we can ask them to confirm, or someone that has received the lenses could confirm this measuring the lenses at the nearest optician).

Associate
My impression is that they ASK for the distance/infinity prescription and then do the conversion math themselves for the ~2meters distance and SEND adjusted lenses. Which makes sense as asking for a "screen" prescription would make things more confusing and error-prone (what screen distance? usually that's for around 50-70cm distance, not 2m; how common even is a screen prescription? etc..). But this is just my supposition (which we can ask them to confirm, or someone that has received the lenses could confirm this measuring the lenses at the nearest optician).
To say they were 'Arsey' about it would be an understatement. They were insistent that it was the distance prescription that was used directly (rather than 2 metres) and wouldn't take any alternate discussion from me. They said I needed to re-check my eyes. No I don't, My eyes simply don't focus at closer distances so well now and 2 metres is definitely NOT distance prescription!
I genuinely don't know what prescription to order.
I'd be interested to hear from anyone else that only need .25/.75 for distance and an ADD of about .75 to get the 2 metre distance in focus as to their findings.
I've managed without glasses for distance until about 5 years ago but am sensitive to even a 0.25 difference in over-prescription which defocusses distance vision as always seems to happen with my optician.

Associate
To say they were 'Arsey' about it would be an understatement. They were insistent that it was the distance prescription that was used directly (rather than 2 metres) and wouldn't take any alternate discussion from me. They said I needed to re-check my eyes. No I don't, My eyes simply don't focus at closer distances so well now and 2 metres is definitely NOT distance prescription!
I genuinely don't know what prescription to order.
I'd be interested to hear from anyone else that only need .25/.75 for distance and an ADD of about .75 to get the 2 metre distance in focus as to their findings.
I've managed without glasses for distance until about 5 years ago but am sensitive to even a 0.25 difference in over-prescription which defocusses distance vision as always seems to happen with my optician.
One of my eyes is +0. 75 and the other is +1.25 and I use my distance prescription and it works for me

Soldato
Just received mine from VR Optician. I can recommend as a glasses wearer! Can't say it improved the sweet spot a huge amount but did improve the openness of the view. No more sides of glasses in the way. Clarity is as good perhaps a bit better.

Associate
You don't need varifocals for VR. The focal length is set at between 1.5 and 2 metres depending on the headset, so you only need a distance prescription which is much cheaper.

One of the cool things about VR is due to that fixed focal distance I can read things close up that I can't read in real life without varifocals or separate reading glasses.

Ah that is interesting I didn't know that. I need reading glasses for close up stuff but over 1m I'm fine so pleased to hear that :)

Soldato
Wish I'd known about this earlier! Putting in contacts just for a short game is a faff, so I end up not bothering.

Just contacted the opticians for a copy of my perscription and I'm definitely ordering a pair of these!

Associate
One of my eyes is +0. 75 and the other is +1.25 and I use my distance prescription and it works for me

Anyone else MORE longsighted.. I'm like +3.5 and for long sighted people lens are convex. 90+% of people are short sighted so the lens bulge is at the edge... Long sighted prescriptions will sit CLOSER to the VR lenses in the middle... Very wary of glasses touching in a VR headset or even if using inserts and VR lenses.

Any LONGIES around?

Associate
Just got my VR optician lenses today. -2.25 and -3.50 prescription. I’m taken aback by how much clearer things look through these, and the field of view feels wider too vs my specs. I was playing Tetris Connected last night with glasses, booted up mid level today with the new VR lenses and swear it felt more 3D. Pavlov felt great too. Convinced the sweet spot is bigger too.

Only took 6 days to get to me in UK from date of order. Pretty quick.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom