Should I upgrade PC now or wait for GPU`s to be available?

Associate
Hello
I`m contemplating a few much needed upgrades to a rig I built in 2015. Trouble is I`m unsure as to whether my current GPU ( 980TI) will cut it until I can grab something better.
I`m using I5 4690k, with only 8gb ddr3 ram. I am thinking about going 12600k ,MSI pro z690-a wifi ddr4
and 16gb ddr4 , with a new m2 SSD and new Noctua NH U12A , and using my current case ( Define R5) and PSU (Corsair RM 750W). Budget is about £750 right now with a new gpu later down the line. Cheers , any ideas welcomed.

Soldato
If I were you I would firstly have a hard think about whether you need to upgrade, or would be happy playing with the settings dialed down.

If you do want to upgrade now then I would suggest trying to get a gpu first. Looking at your spec, that is the part holding you back the most. You could also try and get a bit more ram.

A lot of us on the forum have managed to get an FE card. I'm sure there was a survey, which showed that most of us on here with an ampere card have a FE. You need to join the nvidia alerts on telegram, and be ready to buy as soon as a drop happens. I think the drops happen about one a month!

The gpu is the tricky part, once you have one in your possession, then think about the rest.

Obviously if you buy a gpu, you will need to increase your total budget.

Soldato
I’d probably upgrade the system first and wait for Intel to shake up graphics card market and bring prices back down to earth.

Caporegime
Yeah, a 980ti isn’t a terrible place to be and upgrading to anything from the last 3 years should show decent gains over the 4th gen i5.
It would actually be interesting to see what gains are made. @shinyazz52 can you do some benchmarks with your current kit and then come back after your upgrade? Interested to see what improvements there are.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your input guys, @MissChief , I am sure I could do something yes, although I`m just a set up and play kinda guy so not that clued up on benchmarking etc.
As for the nvidia telegram stock alerts , how does one get access to that? and is there a certain ddr4 RAM set that I should be looking at or are they much the same? , thanks :)

Associate
I went through the telegram process yesterday, on my phone (also available as a PC app) I downloaded the app 'Telegram' and then subscribed chat 'FE PartAlert'. Not sure how long my lack of patience will let me wait though, likely to break and go down the second mortgage route for stocked brand card.

Soldato
I am thinking about going 12600k ,MSI pro z690-a wifi ddr4
and 16gb ddr4 , with a new m2 SSD and new Noctua NH U12A , and using my current case ( Define R5) and PSU (Corsair RM 750W).
Forget such expensive brand priced CPU coolers, if you're going to spend in comparison shoe string money for memory.
Same thing part deux:
If cooler costs more than quarter of the CPU under it, that's really bad prioritizing of limited budget.

And like already said GPU market situation continues to be lousy and after all this time would be sensible to try to wait little more for Intel's releases.
Hopefully later this year there's the first time in very long time when you can get all better performing parts of PC at decent price.

You better hold on to that R5, which I consider as the peak of Define R evolution, before fashion started raping it.
It's far more future upgradable than nearly any current case on market with 5.25" bays giving change to upgrade ports.

Back
Top Bottom