The nervous wait to exchange....

Soldato
Hi guys,

Does anyone have any calculators that allow you to work out the cost of porting a mortgage? I have a current balance at 2.34, and I can theoretically get additional borrowing at 1.34. But I want to see if closing the existing deal and paying the ERC fee is better.

Don
Hi guys,

Does anyone have any calculators that allow you to work out the cost of porting a mortgage? I have a current balance at 2.34, and I can theoretically get additional borrowing at 1.34. But I want to see if closing the existing deal and paying the ERC fee is better.

You can request a redemption figure from your current provider, which will list all the associated costs / balances.

Soldato
You can request a redemption figure from your current provider, which will list all the associated costs / balances.
Yeah I have that - 11k. What I don't have is the combination cost of porting + new borrowing across the two rates for comparison.

Most mortgage calcs just let you put one rate in?

Don
Yeah I have that - 11k. What I don't have is the combination cost of porting + new borrowing across the two rates for comparison.

Most mortgage calcs just let you put one rate in?

For all intents and purposes the additional borrowing is a second mortgage. Just use the mortgage calc tools twice and record their figures in a spreadsheet

Soldato
I'm at the very low end of the market (130k max and that's pushing it a little). Redoing the bathroom isn't exactly on the cards as an option budget wise. I saw a very nicely renovated one but for whatever reason they put a bath in the most stupid place without a shower. The only way to fit a shower would be to renovate the bathroom and rip everything out again as everything would need moved.

There is plenty coming up but they go for more than asking price and gets into stupid money for what you are paying for (mostly 2 bed box houses)

You'd be paying more than that for a 2 bed box house where I am, but different areas have different prices, so that's not really a useful statement!

If you're hitting your budget, then yeah, it needs to be right for you, but as we found, you may need to simply be more flexible at the moment, because the market is insane.

Associate
Just heard from our landlord as we enquired about buying and he’s looking about £100k higher than we expected…..and £75k more than the offer we just put in on a better house in the same area. But that was the price his evaluation came back with.

Maybe I shouldn’t have put in the offer under the asking price after all!

Soldato
Just heard from our landlord as we enquired about buying and he’s looking about £100k higher than we expected…..and £75k more than the offer we just put in on a better house in the same area. But that was the price his evaluation came back with.

Maybe I shouldn’t have put in the offer under the asking price after all!
I can’t imagine houses are going under asking in many decent areas at the minute the market is on fire and prices are still rocketing!

Soldato
I can’t imagine houses are going under asking in many decent areas at the minute the market is on fire and prices are still rocketing!
Yes, we put our first ever offer in recently and I had to be told "you just offer the asking price as the first step". It didn't occur to me not to offer over, because it didn't occur to me anyone might offer below TBH!

Soldato
Yeah probably. I just factored in it was at our max budget and needed a new boiler and some exterior work soon. We’ll see, they want a quick sale and it’s use vs 2 others.
Good luck, I hope you get it buying houses is crazy.

we get our keys on Tuesday assuming no last minute disasters (we have exchanged so unlikely) and I did some man maths and basically we could no longer afford the house given the rise in prices since we had our offer accepted and could pretty much sell on Wednesday and take a profit even after our second home stamp duty!

Associate
Nah someone offered over asking price so no go.

It look like places are starting to get added again so shall see and hope they don’t keep pushing up too much more or we’ll be priced out of the area completely.

Soldato
Only bought ours 18 months ago and has gone up from 320k to 360k. It's insane, surely can't be sustained. They will surely drop soon.
I honestly don't think they'll ever drop. Too much demand, too much competition at lower price points from people who'd like to go slightly higher.

Hopefully if there is a lot more availability it will make it easier to find a place without a fight, but I don't expect prices to drop TBH.

Soldato
I honestly don't think they'll ever drop. Too much demand, too much competition at lower price points from people who'd like to go slightly higher.

Hopefully if there is a lot more availability it will make it easier to find a place without a fight, but I don't expect prices to drop TBH.

Yep, I'm thinking the growth rate may slow and more people selling up makes more availability, but don't see the prices dropping in some kind of burst. We've just started proceedings on our third attempt of buying a house, after two falling through at the finish line last year. The house we offered on came up at £10k over the house we missed last year - which is exactly the same house type on the same estate, but is a touch older and closer to the main road. :eek:

Soldato
Yep, I'm thinking the growth rate may slow and more people selling up makes more availability, but don't see the prices dropping in some kind of burst. We've just started proceedings on our third attempt of buying a house, after two falling through at the finish line last year. The house we offered on came up at £10k over the house we missed last year - which is exactly the same house type on the same estate, but is a touch older and closer to the main road. :eek:
Its a crazy time. Makes buying a new build instead of competing against other people a more attractive proposition even taking into account the issues with new builds.

Back
Top Bottom