• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What games is a RTX 3080 (10GB) not 'Enough' for at 4K resolution?

Soldato
So, by enough, I mean a minimum framerate that doesn't drop below 60 at 4K resolution.

EDIT - With no Upscaling used, and no ray tracing. Assume the top preset is set (unless it's psycho mode or something).

Last edited:
Soldato
You'll need to define what settings you are after - all settings to max/ultra preset? ( which no 4k gamer worth their salt would do as some gfx options are for potato resolutions or to mask low fps). Or whether you can use DLSS, FSR, DSR or DLDSR etc or just pure raster performance.

Any game review will give you the info you need if you want an ultra preset and everything like blur, on.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
To keep it simple, 60FPS 4K with no upscaling. Also, I mean on an ultra preset/ or whatever the game's equivalent is.

Soldato
OP
Not to mention we have various other "vram" threads.

This is not about VRAM :rolleyes:

The only game I know of that would struggle at 4K is Flight simulator. I just wondered if there are any others?

I think Assassin's Creed Valhalla too, but it comes very close to 60 FPS if I recall correctly (probably would perform better overclocked).

Last edited:
Caporegime
Fair, I seen the 10GB vram and words "not enough" and thought here we go again.... :cry:

In which case

You'll need to define what settings you are after - all settings to max/ultra preset? ( which no 4k gamer worth their salt would do as some gfx options are for potato resolutions or to mask low fps). Or whether you can use DLSS, FSR, DSR or DLDSR etc or just pure raster performance.

Any game review will give you the info you need if you want an ultra preset and everything like blur, on.

This.

There are a good amount of games which a 3080 can't "max" at 4k with no FSR/DLSS, especially if ray tracing is turned on i.e. cyberpunk

Soldato
OP
Yeah, sorry I only put 10GB to avoid confusion with the 12GB model. I wonder how many more variants us lucky customers will get :)

I'm still trying to upgrade to an RTX 3080 FE and just wondered if that's still the one to get.

Soldato
OP
I should have specified with Ray Tracing off. To me, I don't think current GPUs can handle it well enough to bother with (at least, in most games).

It gives Nvidia and AMD something to aim for in the future though, so they can keep people buying new cards even at the point (eventually) when most can play at 4K already.

Caporegime
If you don't care for ray tracing or/and don't want to use upscaling tech., then a 6800xt would be better but would you be happy paying potentially £200+ over a 3080 for much the same performance "overall"?

The main thing going for the 3080 for 4k gaming over the 6800xt is dlss, it is superior to FSR and in more games which need it, which imo are also better games. AMD won't be able to match dlss quality until they bring RDNA 3 out.

Soldato
OP
The lowest price RX 6800 XTs still cost over £1,000, so not really a contest with FE cards.

I don't mind using DLSS / upscaling if needed, but it's not available in many games.

Soldato
The lowest price RX 6800 XTs still cost over £1,000, so not really a contest with FE cards.

I don't mind using DLSS / upscaling if needed, but it's not available in many games.

It's just a matter of time when Nvidia releases a DLSS version that can be used in all games, even ones with no DLSS built in, like they did with DSR/DLDSR and controlled by the control panel or their nvidia gforce experience panel. As the DLSS they are using now is not trained anymore from what I understand for any game, like they had to do with DLSS 1.0 where every game needed DLSS to be trained and then the data added to the driver updates as game ready drivers.

Soldato
OP
Well, that would be awesome, especially for older games.

So, Cyberpunk 2077 is one example of at game that really struggles even with an RTX 3080 (10GB), with Ray Tracing and DLSS disabled. Link here:
https://overclock3d.net/gfx/articles/2021/05/31115830133l.jpg

Performance dips to around 34 FPS :eek:

From this review:
https://overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/nvidia_rtx_3080_ti_fe_review/6

So much for 8K gaming :)

First, AMD/NVIDIA need something about twice as powerful as a RTX 3080 for Cyberpunk 2077 at 4K.

It does show how important upscaling features like DLSS and AMD's Super Resolution are though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, that would be awesome, especially for older games.

So, Cyberpunk 2077 is one example of at game that really struggles even with an RTX 3080 (10GB), with Ray Tracing and DLSS disabled. Link here:
https://overclock3d.net/gfx/articles/2021/05/31115830133l.jpg

Performance dips to around 34 FPS :eek:

From this review:
https://overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/nvidia_rtx_3080_ti_fe_review/6

So much for 8K gaming :)

First, AMD/NVIDIA need something about twice as powerful as a RTX 3080 for Cyberpunk 2077 at 4K.

It does show how important upscaling features like DLSS and AMD's Super Resolution are though.

Cyberpunk is not a good example to use, it's very broken is that game on every platform, they even removed it for sale on the Playstations store for a while to fix some of the issues, but it still runs like rubbish even after so called fixes... I think they took advantage of people with that game and was nothing more than a cash grab for a game that really couldn't do what they were showing in trailers and in the marketing of it at the start. One to forget really and not one to use as is it good or bad this gpu, the game is the problem, if they actually spent some time optimising it instead of trying to rip their customers off it would have ended better for that game.

Soldato
OP
Okay, but I can get good performance with that game at 4K with a RTX 3070 and DLSS. So, it's a limitation of current graphics cards, even if the game is poorly optimized.

Last edited:
Soldato
I can't imagine they're is any game at all that will not run at 60fps/4k due to a 10Gb vram size.

The issue will be pure performance keeping you from hitting 60 fps, not the amount of memory the card has. If you have a game that runs will at 4k, max settings, then you have the option to cap the fps.

And I'm not talking about 3rd party texture packs from modders. Just straight up normal games.

God of War on pc can eat through vram , way past 10Gb, but that's because of a bug.

Last edited:
Soldato
So, by enough, I mean a minimum framerate that doesn't drop below 60 at 4K resolution.

EDIT - With no Upscaling used, and no ray tracing. Assume the top preset is set (unless it's psycho mode or something).

What about games that reduce asset quality to maintain fps when vram is limited

Associate
Doesn't Far Cry 6 use more than 10GB at 4K with a texture pack or something? Also I believe Doom Eternal with Ray tracing and ultra nightmare settings IIRC (I know the OP specified without RT but I can't think of other examples).

Permabanned
DOOM Eternal definitely eats Vram, however do you notice any visual differences from Ultra to Ultra-Nightmare?, at 1440P here I don't see a single difference or my 20-20 vision is blind.

Back
Top Bottom