Tax Fairness Question

Soldato
He and I are both accountants. As above, my view is that net profits are distributed one third each and tax liabilities and student loan repayments are individual issues. A thinks I'm being problematic as B and C have never raised this issue in the past (been happening for 5+) years. Whereas I feel I am just protecting the interests of B and C (one of which I am married to).
There is your issue. Stay out of it.

Soldato
OP
The issue is that rentals can be profitable but if the mortgage repayment is relatively fast then not always cash positive, especially if there are maintenance costs. When the central account needs topped up it is an equal split among the three, but given our income disparity as a couple I effectively cover her share.

Made up numbers but imagine 40k rental income from properties with 10k of allowable expenses and £30k capital repayment. This creates a tax liability of £8k based on the current structure. i.e a net 8k cash outflow. I end up covering her £2.66k "share" of that, when in reality it should only be £2k. Every year. And there's two of them doing it.

Soldato
To be clear, this isn't a point of establishing the right tax payments due, more one of assessing fairness of tax being paid to HMRC by three partners in a property business

A bit of background:

Sibling A - University Degree funded by Student Grant and a higher rate tax payer.

Siblings B & C - University Degrees funded by Student Loans and basic rate tax payers.

All properties are jointly owned. Income goes into a pot and the partnership (not a ltd company) settles all income tax liabilities. Siblings B & C settle their additional student loan repayments that arises from additional property income separately.

Tax liabilities for property profits this year were split as follows:

A. £4600
B. £2300 plus 1000 SL repayment
C. £2300 plus 1000 SL repayment

I have advised that the fair approach to settling this is for the partnership to pay £2300 to each from retained profit and A can then settle the remaining balance as a 40% tax payer themselves.

However, A is saying that the partnership should be paying their entire tax bill. I have challenged this as in my view their personal tax situation is a result of other income sources. Their point is that this burden arises only because they have a share in this business which I feel is irrelevant.

I have countered that if this is the route A wants to take, then the partnership should be also responsible for covering the SL repayments for B&C, with my view that this burden also only arises because they have a share in the business and were also not eligible for student grants, unlike A. I would not view this as strictly correct, but more fair then A's current proposal, however when the student loans are repaid in a couple of years we are facing the same problem. A feels that the student loans are individual issues for B & C.

Any thoughts? Am I being unreasonable, is person A taking the Mick, or are both of us in the wrong?

Allowed it to happen?! He's been ******* them over for 5 years and he knows it.
Do the frc have an advice line? If he won't budge then maybe suggest the services of an independent accountancy firm or a chat with the frc if that's possible and see what he does.

I'm not an accountant but I think I follow what you've said & I would do as Foghorn says. Tell him that you and he aren't going to agree so let's have an independant 3rd party take a look and suggest a course of action.

If he's adamant that he won't do that then he's in full knowledge that he's in the wrong & doesn't want to be found out.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
I'm not an accountant (and always been paid PAYE) so maybe I have not understood correctly, but what does student loan/grant and tax rate have to do with how much tax they should all pay for this 'property business'?

If they are all equal partners, then surely any profits get split 3 ways. Any tax due gets split 3 ways. Any personal circumstances such as the personal tax rate and student loan etc is all up to the individual, nothing to do with the rest of the partners.

Genuinely curious as this seems like common sense, but it seems I'm missing something as everyone is saying that A is in the wrong.

Soldato
I'm not an accountant (and always been paid PAYE) so maybe I have not understood correctly, but what does student loan/grant and tax rate have to do with how much tax they should all pay for this 'property business'?

If they are all equal partners, then surely any profits get split 3 ways. Any tax due gets split 3 ways. Any personal circumstances such as the personal tax rate and student loan etc is all up to the individual, nothing to do with the rest of the partners.

Genuinely curious as this seems like common sense, but it seems I'm missing something as everyone is saying that A is in the wrong.
It's a Partnership as opposed to a Limited Company (Ltd). In a LTD, the tax is paid by the business, as it's its own tax entity.

In a Partnership, though, the profit is calculated and split according to the partnership agreement. In this case, it should be 1/3rd each, and then each person reports their share of the profit on their own tax return, alongside any other income.

In this case, one partner has high enough other income that they effectively pay 40% tax on this partnership income, whereas for the other two it is only taxed at 20%.

And that 40% tax partner thinks the business should pay him more than the others because of the extra tax he pays.

Associate
Humans excel at creating situations that unfairly benefit them and then making up justifications for it that they truly convince themselves are reasonable.
In this case pretty clear that party A is the architect of the agreement and did just this, to the detriment of his own siblings.

Caporegime
The student loan is irrelevant here and not a burden, they'll still have it if they don't pay it off.

A is being a chancer, his personal tax liability is irrelevant, if they're supposed to be getting an equal split then they should get an equal split, if he earns a bit more elsewhere meaning he pays a higher rate of tax on his profits here then that's his own problem.

He could go live in the Channel Islands or Isle of Man if he wants to reduce his personal tax liability, those are personal decisions to make on his part.

Soldato
OP
I was being argumentative on the student loans to get a point across i.e. they are due to personal circumstances so should not be in scope, much the same as the impact of A being a higher rate tax payer.

Caporegime
Ah, fair point, I think perhaps if A doesn't see sense then getting a third party to review it (as you have that interest yourself via your partner) should sort it out, though really he must surely know he's being a complete chancer, especially if he's an accountant.

Soldato
I don't really know anything about how partnerships like this normally work, but seems very odd to me that income tax and student loan repayments are being paid directly by the partnership. Seems to me that each sibling should be getting an equal share of the profits and then sorting their own tax and student loan payments out.

Just make no sense that A should deserve more money purely because he earns enough through other sources that he's a higher rate tax payer. A is cheating his siblings and essentially getting them to subsidise his tax bill imo.

Man of Honour
A is a ****. Each persons tax situation and personal loan situation is irrelevant to how the profit should be split. Could there be another factor such as A putting in more of the initial deposit or meeting more of the maintenance costs?

But the problem you'll have is that B and C agreed to this structure at the very start. So if it has been going on a while then it's going to be hard to change it and may cause a rift between the siblings, with A saying they would neverf have agreed to the partnership under those conditions. The only solution is to sleep with A's mum. And dad.

Soldato
For the record, I'm with everyone else, A is just a *****

He and I are both accountants. As above, my view is that net profits are distributed one third each and tax liabilities and student loan repayments are individual issues. A thinks I'm being problematic as B and C have never raised this issue in the past (been happening for 5+) years. Whereas I feel I am just protecting the interests of B and C (one of which I am married to).
Ahh, look, I've seen familes fall apart over this kind of thing. I would certainly advise my Wife about the fairness/legalities, but make sure she is effectively instructing you to help.. Sadly some people prefer the status quo and will happily sit there for the sake of keeping the peace and you are rarely thanked for doing the right thing technically if it blows open family relationships! Just be careful!

No wonky agreement, in fact I have proposed one in order to split profit in such a way that it maxes B&C to their 20% band which brings down the overall burden of tax ( and is permitted according to HMRC), but he thinks that's a CGT issue (which it isn't).
If you are sorting it out, don't come up with some wonky split, make it equal, circumstances change (not to mention tax thresholds), and when you have an equal burden putting money in, it should be an equal expression of profits to each partner.. Personal circumstances aside.. so what if she might encroach marginally on the higher rate tax bracket, it's still more money (of hopefully an equal split).

I do sense trouble ahead..

Last edited:
Soldato
There are no dividends if the business is set up as a partnership. He will eventually end up with an overdrawn current account if he takes more than his share of the profits every year. Easiest way is surely just for everyone to take their share of the profits each year so each partners current account is effectively zero (or an agreed amount to leave cash in the bank account). Then everyone sorts out their own tax bill from their own funds.

Soldato
I'll just make my point and then step back to be honest. Profit split 3 ways, distribute an equal dividend and then settle your personal tax liabilities. Nothing else is correct or fair.

Sounds good, although (to be balanced) when it's your Wife, it's hard to stand by and not push to get the right thing done, I'm just speaking as an outsider where emotions can be parked and objectivity is easy!

Back
Top Bottom