Monitor suggestions (Macbook and PC)

Associate
Posted this originally in monitors but think it's probably best here for an answer ...

Currently got a PC (connected to an 27" Acer gsync monitor) and an iMac on my desk for gaming/media and work. I'm considering ditching my iMac for a MacBook or a Mac Mini and having one big screen for both.

Is there anything out there that fits the bill? Don't want an ultra wide so that rules them out. I've considered seeing what the new 42" OLEDs are like from Sony/LG but there's the obvious issue of burn in and I've no idea how the Mac would look on a TV. There's also the issue of connecting the Mac, unsure what hoops

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks,
Ash

Soldato
Any PC monitor would work. The issue with mac displays is that people often expect retina-level sharpness which they get on Macbooks and iMacs (~220ppi), but these doesn't exist on PC monitors (e.g. 4K 27" is ~163ppi, which is noticeably more blurry). If you go with the Mac Mini you can use any HDMI monitor and it will work as you'd expect on a PC.

Associate
I have an LG 27UL850-W, which I love, I have the PC hooked up via DP 1.4 and my Mac Mini via the built in USB-C. It works really well, and is easy to switch between the 2. I can't recommend it highly enough for the money, though it has increased by about 100quid recently, like most things :(. You can game on it, but it is not really a gaming screen, 4k/60, but is a great screen for dual inputs shared between a Mac and PC.

Associate
OP
Any PC monitor would work. The issue with mac displays is that people often expect retina-level sharpness which they get on Macbooks and iMacs (~220ppi), but these doesn't exist on PC monitors (e.g. 4K 27" is ~163ppi, which is noticeably more blurry). If you go with the Mac Mini you can use any HDMI monitor and it will work as you'd expect on a PC.

that's part of my issue, it not having that same retina sharpness would really bug me!

I have an LG 27UL850-W, which I love, I have the PC hooked up via DP 1.4 and my Mac Mini via the built in USB-C. It works really well, and is easy to switch between the 2. I can't recommend it highly enough for the money, though it has increased by about 100quid recently, like most things :(. You can game on it, but it is not really a gaming screen, 4k/60, but is a great screen for dual inputs shared between a Mac and PC.

Will have a look thanks :)

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
What do you use your PC for? Is it purely gaming?

Personally I've been down the route of trying to use a non-Apple monitor and it's simply not as good. If you had a MacBook next to a 4K 27" screen it would make the short comings of the 27" even more obvious.

Apple are rumoured to be working on a stand-alone monitor this year but I would guess the prices would be steep.

A gaming PC with a gaming monitor and an iMac is probably the best setup if you have space.

Associate
OP
What do you use your PC for? Is it purely gaming?

Personally I've been down the route of trying to use a non-Apple monitor and it's simply not as good. If you had a MacBook next to a 4K 27" screen it would make the short comings of the 27" even more obvious.

Apple are rumoured to be working on a stand-alone monitor this year but I would guess the prices would be steep.

A gaming PC with a gaming monitor and an iMac is probably the best setup if you have space.

That's my fear, I'm pretty particular and it would bug me that it didn't look 'good'. I currently have, 27" iMac next to a 27" monitor, the PC is used mainly for music and also video while I'm working, play the odd game but my gaming PC is pretty old by current standards so tend to game on console instead these days.

Ideally want to go bigger and just have one and switch to a high spec macbook pro with the m1 or whatever is the latest. Think it's probably best waiting to see what apple comes out with as a halfway to the XDR

Soldato
Bear in mind that scaling works differently on an external monitor that isn’t one of the proper Apple ones

So while on a Mac you get high DPI regardless of scaling, you don’t with many external monitors and it just goes blurry.

Look into HiDPI: https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/668462

Default HiDPI behaviour is only enabled on 4K and higher. You can however force it with command line on all monitors.

Back
Top Bottom