WTF SETI Enhanced

Caporegime
I just had a look at the points the enhanced WU's have been getting and they're all over the shop. They all seem to be getting around 60 points whether they take 2000 or 15000 seconds but for some reason some of the 12000 second ones are only getting 50. :confused: My daily credits have taken a large hit too from around 1000 to between 2-400. :( I suppose most people are in the same position though. :)

Associate
Amp34 said:
I just had a look at the points the enhanced WU's have been getting and they're all over the shop. They all seem to be getting around 60 points whether they take 2000 or 15000 seconds but for some reason some of the 12000 second ones are only getting 50. :confused: My daily credits have taken a large hit too from around 1000 to between 2-400. :( I suppose most people are in the same position though. :)

Same for everyone, much whineing over on the S@H forums about it, although its getting like a mothers meeting on that forum more and more atm. Handbags at 10 paces.

Babyface UK

Soldato
Ive been having a read other there, trying to make sense of it all but all I can see is a load of arguing over points v science :(

I'm hoping it will sort it self out in the next week or two.

TDF.

Caporegime
TheDogFather said:
Ive been having a read other there, trying to make sense of it all but all I can see is a load of arguing over points v science :(

I'm hoping it will sort it self out in the next week or two.

TDF.

Its not like the primary aim is to search for radio signals from outer space is it. Give me more points! ;)

Thats the reason i started and thats the reason i will carry on, the points are just a bonus. :D

Soldato
Amp34 said:
Its not like the primary aim is to search for radio signals from outer space is it. Give me more points! ;)

Thats the reason i started and thats the reason i will carry on, the points are just a bonus. :D
well pretty much every DC project ever has suffered from the same problem, Boinc was meant to sort that out with the benchmark system so that you received an average amount of points based on how much work it had taken and how other people had done - what I can't understand is why they now seem to be messing about with it :confused:
I guess it's become more complex with Enhanced and the current solution is upsetting people

If all that's available now is enhanced units then I don't see the problem since everyone is in the same boat - though why they can't just up the points for them I don't know

Folding@Home probably has the most unfair points system of any project - however for me that just adds an extra bit of fun to the whole thing (though admittedly seeing your slowest machines getting work they really shouldn't have whilst your most powerful machine is getting the smallest WUs possible can get a bit irritating :p) :)

Associate
KillBait said:
One of the major changes with Enchanced has been credit is now given based on how many Flops is takes to crunch through the unit, making optimized versions of the boinc client is pretty much redundant as the benchmarks are no longer used.

Rather the opposite... Under time based credits, the optimized apps did the work faster and claimed less credits per WU than the lumbering stock app (unless you used trux's correctinc BOINC). Because of the averaging of cliamed credit to granted credit, and most users running the stock app, the overall credit granted was high.

The optimized apps though got, and get, through more WUs per day and thus get more credits per day.

I'm still crunching Beta project units and they claim about 110 points each, the caveat to this is that the beta version of 5.12 for windows im running claims too much credit and it should be about 50 - 60 per unit.

On the corrected figures i should get ~320 per CPU per 24hrs, so your figures do sound a little off, but then i dont know if they again changed the ratio of flops/credit before releasing it to the main project.

Overall, despite the fact that the playing field is much more level and everyone is in the same boat, I think Berkeley have made a disasterous mistake in not maintaing closer parity of pre-enhanced and enhanced credits.

We had just about finished the discussion/whinging about the fairness and unfairness of the benchmark credit system, and everyone who was going to leave BOINC/SETI had done so.

Now it's changed again, the same comments/whinges are back with avengance and another round of retirements seems inevitable.

Once again Berkeley have completely missed a considerable part of the incentive for running the science projects.

Soldato
From what I read last night, it seems they are trying to make it fair accross all projects. So crunching for X hours on Seti will give the same amount of credit as crunching any other Boinc project.

It has also took away most of the advantage of using enhanced apps. Theres a thread started by Eric K (the Seti classic hijacker :p any one renember ?) with a few good posts in it. What I took from it was the users of enhanced apps should not feel hard done by that they are no longer getting much higher credit, they should be pleased that they managed to earn so much more for so long.

That got something for free and in many cases pulled a considerable lead, one that will be hard to close.

TDF.

Back
Top Bottom