Blogging systems

Soldato
Hiya,

Tempted to start my own personal blog and possibly host blogs for a few friends. We don't really want to connect to any of the major blogging systems (livejournal etc) as we'd rather stay independant and be able to do our own thing.

I'd want it to be fairly customisable, any ideas? I'm ashamed to say this but the only blogging I've tried is on myspace :eek:

I did have a fairly decent SQL based site running in the past so a SQL based blog system would be ideal!

Thanks for any advice chaps and chapesses!

Soldato
Most people are rightly gonna recommend you WordPress. It's a very good system and very customisable but make sure you change the original layout - seeing the original WP layout dozens of times is getting very samey!

Associate
Try coding your own?

I had some fon with this a while back. Its a hell of a lot more rewarding seeing something that you've created on the web. If you have access to some decent software (like dreamweaver) its a sinch.

If you want some help or advice making your own blog in dreamweaver or something just give me a shout :) (email in trust)

Associate
Freakish_05 said:
Try coding your own?

I had some fon with this a while back. Its a hell of a lot more rewarding seeing something that you've created on the web. If you have access to some decent software (like dreamweaver) its a sinch.

If you want some help or advice making your own blog in dreamweaver or something just give me a shout :) (email in trust)

exactly what im doing as and when i add a new feature to it etc, its actually a doddle too do and obviously completely your choice on any design features you want etc

Associate
Freakish_05 said:
Try coding your own?

That sounds cool! I would like to give it a shot, I can code basic php/mysql, but getting the logic of how a system like a blog works is something beyond me. Any tips on how to approach it?

Associate
Uses Cases. Examine the problem and identify the use cases, tackel each use case one at a time. Some example use cases:

- View a summary list of the latest entries
- View an entry
- View an archieve of all entries
- Post an entry
- Edit an entry
- Delete an entry

Then if you want visitors to be able to leave comments:

- Post a comment
- View a comment
- Delete a comment
- Edit a comment

Then there are the non-functional requirements such as:

- Security (you don't want everyone posting, do you want people to register before commenting?)
- Look-and-feel

You also need to decide how you will persist your data. This project is a large undertaking. I actually recomend that you use somthing like Word Press. There is little value in reinventing things.

What you might like to do is design a one is ASP.NET. Most are PhP based and so I think there is a market for a .NET one.

Justin

Associate
In simple terms the bulk of the work is making a system to get/insert/edit records.

I've always used dreamweaver which makes database integration quite easy. I suppose another possibility would be to use text files for each entry which could be an easier option.

Sic

Sic

Soldato
making your own is great fun. i'm having a bit of a bash at it at the moment. tis going along quite smoothly - annoyingly enough, the hardest bit is the admin bit...the bit everyone sees took about 2 hours :(

Back
Top Bottom